FUEL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DMC300, Apr 25, 2000.

1. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I WAS TALKING TO AN EX-LAWNPRO AND HE SAID THAT BY USING THE HIGHER OCTANE FUEL HE WOULD GET MUCH BETTER MILEAGE OUT OF HIS MOWERS.HE DEMONSTRATED ON A FOOTBALL FIELD USING THE SAME MOWER SAME AMOUNT OF FUEL.SAID WHEN HE USED THE HI-TEST AMOCO HE HAD FUEL LEFT IN THE TANK AS OPPOSED TO WHEN HE USED 87 OCTANE HE WOULD RUN A LOWER.IS THIS SOMETHING TO CONSIDER?OR IS IT NOT WORTH THE ADDED EXP.?I'VE ALWAYS USED 87 W/NO PROBLEM. <p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Don,<p>I use the 87 Oct. Most guys I know also use it. Unless their is a sufficient difference I would stick to the 87 Oct. Especially the way the gas price are now. The best thing would be to add up your over head. By the day week and month. Then add itn up by the year. After that you will probably agree that the litte bit of gas you save won't be worth the price you pay. Let me know about those figures. Good Luck :) <br>Travis AG& G Lawn Maintenance

3. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard the the higher octane fuels work better in the 2 cycle engines. Every once in a while I will buy the supreme brand, but I never noticed any difference in the performance.<p>Jim

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I run 93 octane in all my lawn equp.I think the engins run cleaner,start easier.

5. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Hey, good topic. I don't think it would make any big difference, could burn up your heads. But, hey, what the heck. All our stuff is dead outta gas, even the spare gas cans are bone dry. We are doing our biggest two properties in the morning, I have to fill everything up anyway because we'll use every last drop, might as well do a little test and fill it all up with 93 octane and see what happens. I'll post the results tomorrow night.

6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

High octane gas burns slower, plain and simple if all variables are the same. But how much slower, I am not sure. By slower, I mean it combusts slower. Your actual fuel delivery to the engine is the same, unless you lean out the carb. If it were injected it would be a different story, because a/f mixture or exhaust temp is monitored and adjusted to compensate. I think the cost of premium would be greater than the savings in gallons used. I don't think any damage would come from running premium though, except to your gas costs.<p><br>

7. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I try to run at least 89; 92 when it's affordable.<br>Have always noticed a diff. in vehicles; it runs smoother & performance is better-no pinging in my truck trying to pull my 20' trailer. <br>It also burns more completely & hotter, so it may make your mower run hotter in the heat of summer :(<br>But I run at least 89 & call it a happy medium. 87 runs not as good in anything; it prob. won't hurt anything, but higher runs better- at least I can tell the diff. That's my input...<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><br>

8. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Higher octane equals higher power is the biggest fuel myth out there. Octane is simply a function of how far a fuel mixture can be compressed before self-igniting(detonation). Sure older musclecars required high octane fuels(much higher than todays lowly 92). But some of those engines had compression ratios of 10:5 to 1 and higher. For instance a 1970 351 Cleveland with the 4v heads had a compression ration of 11.4 to 1. To run that engine on todays fuel you have to ****** the timing, or run octane boost.<br> Plain and simple your engine that requires 87 octane will not perform better with 92 octane fuel.<br>Stick with the manufacturers recommended octane level and your engine will perform as well as with higher octane fuels plus it will save you cash.<br>And if you are hearing pinging or knocking under acceleration, check your timing, my bet is it's to far advanced. Or you possibly have some carbon deposits, which will heat up and pre-ignite the fuel causing detonation as well.

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I run 87 in the truck and 89 in the equipment. The 2-cycle owners manuals all recommend 89 avg and the kohler twin will &quot;run-on&quot;, &quot;diesel&quot; etc on 87, shuts right down with 89.<p>Bill

10. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

Well, filled them all up with premium and didn't notice any difference. Your mileage may differ! I did notice the Scag didn't clump any. The Deere did though.