1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Nov 19, 2000.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering why do you have to drain the fuel from your mower. Is their any easy way to drain a Exmark WB or can you just put a fuel stabilizer in the gas.
  2. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I fill up my machines with fuel and start them up at least once a month. The 2 cycles, I dump the fuel out and let them run until they quit. You can add Stabilizer to the gas, but I never do. This is how I have winterized my old DC since it was new. I have had zero carb problems, so I guess it must work ok. If you leave fuel in them, fill them to the brim so the moisture doesn't form in the tanks.
  4. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We always fill up the gas tanks completely and run them every couple of weeks throughout the winter. The two cycle stuff we just drain and run dry. I am afraid to us stabil for fear of gumming up the carbs with letting them sit.
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i used fuel stabilizer on my craftsman mixed it in the tank and with my gas i put to much in i just had to get carb work done my mechanic said not use it anymore he said i wore out the f---ing primer trying to start my mower this week .but i think its ok it work ok on my blowers and trimmers. the smoke kills your lungs but its starts up on all my 2cycles first pull or at least the second
  6. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

if you move to the south you don't have to worry about winterizing anything the keep running all year
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our whether gets real cold up here in Maine along with you other northerners. All our Walkers, Toro's and all trimmers, blowers, power brooms and edgers all get 1/2 tanks with stable mixed in and dont run em till spring. Re-charge battery and fire em up.
  8. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If you did want to drain the fuel tanks... Close the fuel valve and remove the line connected to the filter. Place line end into gas can and open valve. Now fill car up with extra gas.
  9. klite

klite LawnSite Member

I yse Sta-Bil Fule stablizer in all my equipment, all year long and have never had a problem since I started in 1996.I think it keeps the fule systems clean and free of gum all the time.
  10. I've done it both ways, drained the tanks and filled them full. Seems in my climate filling them up and starting the mowers once a month works best. All 2 cycle engines are drained out and run until they quit.