Fueling mowers w/ enclosed trailer ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot, Apr 14, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have considered an enclosed trailer before and have recently ran across a good deal on one. My question is: How do you guys go about filled the mowers with fuel? I know there are many ways but what have you found to be the easiet and most efficient? Do you like the enclosed as much more than the open trailer as I anticipate I would? Thanks

2. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 24x8 enclosed hualmark trailer. I haul 4 5 gallon unleaded can, 1 5 gallon 2 cycle can, and 3 5 gallon diesel cans. I love my enclosed trailer, I can haul everything I need inside it plus just lock it up at night and forget about it. Not to mention its a big white moving billboard. As far as I'm concerned enclosed is the only way to go.

3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

my enclosed has a door that i run the fuel hose in to to fuel my WB's and have numerous gas cans that i fill outside of the trailer, also run four snowmachines in there and operat the same way in the winter it is very easy, but i mostly run my open trailers for the maintenance, but the security factor over rules all, it is much safer to run the bus. in a enclosed but find it more monueverable and am able to use smaller trucks with my 12' open trailer then my 24' enclosed w/ my 2500 Ram, if this made any sense, that is my point of view
    AK Lawn

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i have a 14ft enclosed Southwest ....love it...I carry 3, 5 gal cans...I only fill the mower when its out of the trailer..very easy to do....the guys with enclosed can relate to this next comment....you get a real good feeling when you pull the latches closed and you 'click' the door locks closed at nite...you just never worry about security...they are pricey however...mine was $3800.....but I had no place to park an open one...now I'm glad I had to go enclosed...it was raining all day yesterday and I was rearranging my 'toys' and watching the Masters at the same time..nice and dry ...they are a little tricky to back up and they are as wide as a semi...mine is 102"....you'll learn it in a few hours of driving it however

5. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I don't have an enclosed trailer yet, however, I have thought of installing tanks inside of the trailer once I have one. Similiar to the Super Lawn Trucks. These fuel tanks are commonly mounted in pick up truck beds. This way you don't have to cart around the gas cans. A person would have to check on their state DOT regulations and OSHA laws before installation. Just a thought.

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im not a very big operation, just have a 48 inch scag walkbehind and 60 inch lazer, so i usually just unload both of the mowers to fuel them up. The other day though, i needed gas for the walkbehind only, so i just pulled up to the pump closely and put the hose in through the side door. Brickman landscaping has like a 20 footer ive seen around here, and they have a big tank they mounted on the a-frame, so they never have to unload.

7. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

My understanding is there is no approved auxillary metal storage tank for gasoline. Those tanks you see on pick up trucks are for diesel fuel or kerosene only, not gasoline.

If anyone knows of an auxillary metal storage tank with pump (either electric or mechanical) that is approved for gasoline, PLEASE let me know.

I currently use the 5gal gas can set up, but the auxillary tank would be much more efficient.

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

next time i see the trailer ill try and get a look at who manufactures the the tank. They definately put gas into it though.

9. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

A word of caution: Filling up a gas can should only be done on the ground. Filling a gas can in the trunk of a car, bed of a pickup, or in a trailer can cause a static electrical spark, and perhaps fire.

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Wangel makes a good point, I know a guy a few years back was gassing up either a go-kart or a 4wheeler in the bed of a truck and something sparked, he got burned pretty badly and had to go through lots of physical therapy. Be safe out there kiddos.

Hank