1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full Color? 2-Color? B&W?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nherweck, Feb 12, 2006.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

Right now I'm having a bit of a dilemma (sp?). I can't decide on how to get my advertisements printed. I'd like to get door hangers. I'd like to include a coupon on either one and I'd like to grab attention. What grabs attention beter; full color ads or basic color ads? If I go full color, I'm thinking about going through 48hourprint.com and getting the RIPCARD DOOR HANGERS. I'm thinking 2500 for $310 isn't too bad for me. That includes FULL PICTURE QUALITY COLOR on BOTH sides with an Aqueous Gloss Coating on both sides as well. The ripcard feature is a tear-off business card at the bottom which I think I'd rather convert to a coupon to grab more attention. I'm thinking to grab about a total of 25 clients this summer and with 2500 door hangers I think I can get a good start on it.

If I decide to take a less expensive route, I can get about 15,000 door hangers printed up for about the same price, but the downside is of course, black & white. They wouldn't shout out to future clients as well.

I could also of course switch to 2-color printing and get about 6,000 door hangers for that same price, but yet again, I think the full color glossy door hangers would just SHOUT to people and let them read it.

What do all ofyou think?

And yes, I will be putting other advertisements out to make sure people remember my name....
  2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

3. nherweck

Have you ever used this company? If so, what is their quality like? Thanks!
  4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I've faced the same dilemna, and I'll tell you what others have told me. Color ads and flyers tend to make the customer think your prices are too high. Color is probably good in your higher class areas, but your regular Joe Schmoe neighborhood i've been told to go w/black and white. Hope this helps!
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good i was pleased
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This is the expierence that I have had. When it comes time to print my next round of flyers I will use green or yellow paper with black print. I am not wasting anymore money going full color and glossy...not with flyers or doorhangers. I will go color and glossy with my tri-fold brochures though.
  7. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

how do you explain trugreen? Cheapest service around with very nice flyers. It's all about the image you portray IMO. No matter what you flyer looks like, if you're cheap lowballer you're a cheap lowballer. If you want to do quality work for quality prices you should show that with everything you do, including flyers. If you are targetting the customers that you feel are only looking for the cheap companies, how do you suggest getting the account when you give them the estimate if you are not a cheap service? It seems like you're barking up the wrong tree.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will use professional looking flyers (color) for chem apps and landscaping, but b&w for mowing. Most people looking for mowing services feel that "it's just mowing and anyone can do that". They don't a big outfit or pay more money than they think they have to.
  9. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it really depends on who you are and where you want your company to go. If you are looking for quick growth with no percieved quality then go black and white. If you are looking to grow your business with quality customers go color. I have went black and white, but I have found out the more I spend on my image the more I can charge customers. Its perceived quality.

I just had to add the truck smiley!
  10. nherweck

All of your points are helping...thanks everyone! I'm thinking I may go with b&w printed on green or yellow (as stated by walker-talker) door hangers for my everyday areas, the ones that don't pull in millions a year. But with the bigger properties that make the money, I'll get the full color glossy door hangers. I'm thinking 2500 in full color/glossy and 2500 in b&w on green or yellow door hangers. Sound good? Also...is there a time that has proven to be better to advertise with door hangers? Certain week of a month? Thanks!