1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full Color Door Hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by brentsawyer, Feb 4, 2003.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

After spending approx $400 last year on direct mailing, 800 first class handwritten pieces, I'm going to try door hangers in conjuntion. From the direct mailing I received approx $15,000 sales, one customer was $8,000, so I will do this again (Thanks Sean). But I need res. maint. customers at least 20-25 more and I intend to be choosy and pricing them high, $30min. So after reading posts I believe GOOD doorhangers are the way to go. Just got off the phone with a company and received a price for full color high-gloss door hangers. Cost is a little more compared to cheap one color but I feel it will be worth the extra $$$, bacically one new customer will pay for the added expense (profit wise, not revenue) and then some for 5000 pieces.

Total cost is $349/5000 one sided or $499 2-sided +$75 for using their photos and they setup, he is sending me one with other lit. today and I think this is great and a winner. Total cost w/shipping $484/5000 or $.0968/ea. This equates to 20% of the cost of doing direct mailing, I believe I will have similar #'s, but different results in the respondants demographics.

So what I am curious is if anyone else has gone this route? Recommend this route? Better ideas?

PS Probably won't pass out all this spring, I figure 3000 will do it with the 1% rule.

Thanks everyone for you input
  2. Barry D

Barry D LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I would like to know what did you put on your direct mailer. Can you send me a copy to go by? Do you use a company to send out the mailer or did you do it yourself?
  3. brentsawyer

I purchased the 20 templates that are available at the lawnsite store. They are also avail on Sean Adams site lawncaresuccess.com I modified them a little to fit my taste but he has good info on the subject there and I followed it to a T. Only thing is that it does take quite a bit of time getting names and addresses. I got lucky and found a friend who lives in the nicest subdivisions in town and got his directory. You will spend $.50/ea. but this is what it takes to catch the eye of the high end shopper. This year I may not include my business name in the return address, I noticed over the year when I received stuff like this, I already knew what it was, however, when nothing was attached in return address, I was more curious.
  4. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Brent, where are you getting your door hangers from?
  5. brentsawyer

postcardwarehouse.com Someone else here said it is a new company, they are in Tampa. Ask to speak with Bob, I believe he is the owner, he is real helpful and can email you a sample or send you one, get moving on it because it could take 2 weeks, he said they are rolling them out in much less time but in previous 2wks, hes done over 100,000 pieces for landscapers. After my post I compared his $$ to others and it was cheaper than my local printer using black on colored paper.
  6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Did you check with Gropro when comparing prices on door hangers?
    I was wondering which one of the 20 letters did you use? I got the disk from Sean myself. Maybe we can get together and compare some notes.

Email me and see when. I going to be in Lexington Thursday the 6th. Maybe discuss over lunch?
  7. brentsawyer

Just checked them out, looks like they're 2-3x more $$ depending on what you get, brochures were 3x more $ and 4 wks lead time opposed to less than 2 wks.
  8. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Brent will they be lawn care specific? Gropro really put emphasis on the Lawn care industry....

If you can get the seem professional image from the PCW then I say that's where I am getting my next Door Hangers.

I order 1000 from Nebs two years ago. Left them in the garage and they got water soaked....:( They were ok but they were very generic. They had one good feature the bottom tore off to the size of a business card...
  9. dklawncare

dklawncare LawnSite Member

check out topvalueprinting.com, they have pretty good prices.
  10. brentsawyer

They just offered B&W