1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

full maint.+commercial?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajlandscaping, Jul 3, 2005.

1. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

i am fairly new to this type of industry and what you need to know even thought i have been mowing yards for about 2 years now w/ 9 account total now i was givin the oppurtunity to get a commercial yard i gladly took it being i know the owner because i work for him(its a resturant) well so far the only thing i do is mow trim edge and blow for a very low price and thats my fault because i priced it like i would a residential yard a scrub mistake but next year i want to give him a proposal on full maintance for his resturant i was wondering what you guys do for full maintanence on commercial lots this place has 2 very large parking lots plenty of sidewalks some minor landscaping

what kind of things could i propose to him for next year or even to finish off this year that would be full maintancence i have some ideas of jobs i could add but i could be missing some so thats the reason im asking

as of now im only getting 75 a month very low what do you think i should charge if i do do this full maintance on his lot
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The $75/mo. must mean this is a very small resturant. The other stuff that is normally done is bushes, fertilizing, irrigation repair, flowers, pest control, disease control, and mulch. And they often want to upgrade landscape put in walking paths and on ours we put in rye grass overseed in the winter. The best way to get commericial resturants/hotels is to bid the mowing seperate and put a rate on other things seperate. For example we plant flowers for $25/flat, mulch is $3 per bag, and irrigation repair is $35 per hour. In our area it is VERY difficult to get the type of commericial properties that aren't just mow and blow so you have to bid low. The mow and blow properties that don't require all the extra I included above are handled by guys with loads of 60" units.
  3. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

don't judge the size of the yard on price because it aint small but it isn't huge either im not sure how many squ. feet there are but i plan on measuring just to see how much yard there is. i did underbid myself on this job and most of my jobs this is my first year being able to drive myself so last year when i only had 3 yards i could either drive to them all on my mower or i would be brought by parents being 16 i didn't take in gas prices and equipment purchases which i ben doing alot of this year and continue so what im trying to say is that 75 is to low i prolly could have gotten away with 90-100 a month becuase this place has prolly about(just a guess) 500-800 feet of edgeing

thx for the help so far i do plan on giving him those jobs and see what he thinks

and all others who read this don't start flaming me for being 16 not licensed and insured and doing commercial lots bc i do plan on being insured and licensed soon got to look into that for 2006 and the only reason i got this job is because i work there as a second job
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

You're on the right path, go for it, get your insurance and licensing, and have at it. I sure plan to. hard work and dedication to your work pay off well.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not gonna flame you as a matter of fact I applaud you for knowing that the current bid is low and wanting to do something about it. The guy that owns the restaurant may be taking advantage of you as you may know or not.
    Your costs are going to determine your rate. You absolutely have to measure and time this job. In the future you also have to measure the potential new jobs. You should have some idea of how long it takes you with your current equipment.
    I hope you are writing down all your costs. Fuel, repairs, maintenance, equipment replacement costs down the line and then you will know a ball park number as to what you have to do to make the goal - "PROFIT".

Ya see many people that are called scrubs are happy to have that 75 bucks a month because they don't know their costs. Eventually they are wondering why they have no money and they are still working as hard as ever on these jobs. Yes it is possible to get paid and to not make a dime.
    Good Luck and keep reading, you have the desire now gain the knowledge.