Full Page Info Flyer distribution

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by teamoneoutdoors, Jan 9, 2007.

1. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Looking for pointers from the experienced guys.

We have 1000 full page color flyers that we are ready to begin distributing. What is the best method you guys have experienced in hitting your targeted communities? It is better to use smaller print material for the second round?

Anyone ever had success advertising on the radio?

Thanks for the help.

2. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

a thousand is a very small number.

I thought in America you cannot distribute flyers and that's why you guys use so many door hangers and post cards.

around here for printing, 10,000 seems to be the magic number for quantity/price.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

No...use the same flyer more or less. When you say smaller print...are you intending to fill it with a lot of info???

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. 10,000, and contact your local paper. Around here, I think it's around $39 per thousand, but you can target your demographic area. In other words, if there are certain suburban areas you want to target, you can. You know your flyers aren't going out into ghetto areas or other undesirable areas. If there are certain areas within some city limits or something, then yes...then, you can distribute those by hand. Your situation however, you have gone with a "color" flyer, which is actually cost prohibitive. Flyers are only so much effective - the main idea is just getting the word and name out there. On top of that, they are full page, so all that printing and color expense is only reaching one residence at a time...regardless. The main idea for flyers is yes, to be attractive, but to reach the masses. After all, they ARE just flyers...and regardless of what they look like, only have a certain maximum return response rate. Another thing on flyers, is that you ALWAYS want to have something of redeemable value on them. In other words, some sort of coupon or discount offer with the flyer, so they (the public) is actually holding something of value in their hand when they are reading it.
    For select distribution, like was mentioned before, the ultimate way is to actually deliver to the doors, or better yet, if the people are home and you happen to see them, you have a great opportunity for face to face, which any truly experienced sales person will tell you is invaluable over ANYTHING - especially just flyer delivery. Because of this, when doing this, dress appropriate, and look and act like a pro (same goes for anyone delivering for you....don't have kids especially looking like bums. Have these people be ready to act as a representative of your company, as that is actually what they are. This includes being relatively educated on the company and ready to answer some questions if asked. Also, there is a certain "etiquette" that should be followed (which SO often is not). For instance, not only should they be presented or placed on the door, but you do NOT open doors to place them, and you do not just throw them into their paper box (we won't even get into the whole mailbox thing). Another thing, is that you use sidewalks, and driveway to walk...you do NOT cut across lawns. This shows disrespect and disregard (I know,...YOU and I know it does absolutely no harm, but we are talking about an etiquette thing. Did you ever see political campaigners canvas a neighborhood? They pretty much follow these same type procedures. Last year, I saw a whole team what appeared to be applicators from tru-green canvasing a neifhborhood the same way. These guys were knocking on every door, though. I hope this helps.

5. Vikings

from canada

I have a similar dilemma.

Last year, my first for lawn care, I advertised with 8.5 x11 black and white flyers. I used the local community newspapers, they have a ad bag they place on every ones door weekly.
    Anyway, I was able very accurately pick out the areas of distribution, I put out 12,000 all in one week and boy did it rock. I must have gotten 100 power raking jobs for a total investment of about $900. But it did slow down before the spring clean up season was over but I did some subbing, a fellow LCO got my flyer to. My dilemma is that I could have gotten a much wider dispersal of advertisement for the same or less money if I had just taken out a large ad in their classified section. For about $120 a week I could have a very large ad, I could even have put it multiple neighbor hood papers at that price but I'm not sure how effective it would be. I want desperately to expand this year, last year was a rehearsal to learn somethings, this year I want to make money.

Has anyone compared the two methods? flyers in a community newspaper compared to ads in their classified section?

Incidentally, all the competition here does the classified thing and most of them have small cheap ads.

6. Vikings

from canada

I often hire my own guys to do flyers for window cleaning. They have addresses on them so they got to be delivered properly. I tell ALWAYS cut across the lawn unless they are standing right there. Saves so much money. It would probably take twice as long if you didn't cut across people's yards.

7. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

Hoolie,

I should have said a smaller size flyer i.e. a 4 x 6 double-sized mailer.

Runner,

Thanks for the information. With my first flyer, I purposely spent extra money on the printing. It is on glossy premium paper and is multicolored. The objective is to place this flyer into the targeted higher end communities thus having a more professional flyer would begin conveying a message about our company. However, I still want to hit the other desired areas that are not viewed as being the premium properties but still offer great opportunities for our company. Your information is great.

I feel the same way about respect to property and professionalism. I am thankful there are LCOs that don't feel the same way thus creating opportunities.

Thanks guys for the responses. The site is very helpful. Keep them coming!

Todd