Full Respect For Hardscapers

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by STRINGALATION, Feb 20, 2008.

1. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

well we decided to rent a both and setup a display while passing out post cards..:clapping:
    found a going out of businness sale and got a few 16x12x8 blocks.
    1. about 50#
    2. some where missing lips and that makes a diff.
    3. big blocks eat space fast
    4. they are not as easy as legos
    5. the first course sets the tempo
    i'm not a hardscaper by far but gotta start somewhere and i feel better by not starting in someones yard
    here are my progress pics. opened valentines weekend and modifying the space not the raised bed

my skin has thicken since being on here and i juct had my post cards ripped apart but here goes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. STRINGALATION

few more

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

take the small top block off on the far right and step back and look and see if you like it better.

4. blackoakstone

blackoakstone LawnSite Member

set your batter properly... just doesn't look like a stable construction. not being critical, just wanting you to succeed. clients want to visualize stable work. you could help the situation with a simple reconfiguration of equal distance of upper vs. lower course batter. you want the same space from overhead course to bottom course in each run. example could be equal distance in stairway rise and run. there is room for a gnome to step down on the left side, but no steps for the gnome on the right side of the left bromeliad bed...

i agree with eshkis with the idea of reconfiguring your right bed "top course." that dude is not stable. one big gust of Billy Blabbermouth's wind will topple your work and close the deal...

just remember that word of mouth is what can make or break you....

5. STRINGALATION

thanks very much. my thinking on that top half block was that it completed the visual effect but i never noticed until now that it is a course higher. also glad you elaborated on the word batter but the step example cleared that right up for me. that was the biggest problem for us was that some of the lips and corners are missing on those used blocks so we struggled with it. had to be honest i expected to receive more of a bashing than this

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

You asked for help,and their is no reason to bash you, but give it some time you might get some jokers hear yet!

7. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, however It looks like you probably have done the best you can with the space you have. Without cutting the stones, their basic shap/size limit your construction abilities. Just know, for the real projects, a little effort (such as cutting) goes a long way. Bottom line is, stand back, look at it. We are our own critics. If it looks good then it probably is. But at the same time, be open to suggestions, ideas, and criticism. It's what makes us all better at what we do.

GOOD LUCK!@

8. STRINGALATION

THANKS FOR ALL INPUT
    couple changes made to our 17'x10' booth
    1. added smaller bed for the people who keep looking for more in our booth and for those who seem to find our raised bed intimidating
    2. removed a table for new bed
    3. put plants on top of table
    4. got my post cards in i'm happy but could be better. and they printed more contrasting than what is on my PC. my laptop was much better
    5. removed the block we had cut in half on top right THANKS ESHSKINS
    6. yard i got the smaller block from does not know what they are and told us to take all 24 of them so i need to know what they are
    7. also i plan on raffling off the plants. i put the tickets in a spreader. and the tickets have a address and number space on the back to start my mailing list
    with out end cap

[​IMG]

convo desk

[​IMG]

new bed
    [​IMG]

9. STRINGALATION

here is that mystery block with 4" card

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. STRINGALATION

thinking about doing this again this winter except starting a month or so earlier