1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full service customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 30, 2012.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Contract services are:

Mow/trim (26 mowings)
    fert @ 3 apps
    pre em/veg control 1x
    mulch 1x
    pruning/trimming 1-2x
    Dethatch 1x
    Spring/Fall cleanups

all other services are offered over and above the contract rates. Our contracts are invoiced monthly and spread over 6 months.
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah we tried that, I found it appeared customers had trouble deciding which service because no two yards are alike so nothing ever fit their needs to a tee, unfortunately a confused customer who can not decide in short order will go elsewhere, nobody likes to feel confused by choices, apparently it made perfect sense to us but not to them, so then the ones who did decide were few and far in between, long story short it totally reduced our sales.

So nowadays we simply let the customer dictate to us what it is they would like, and I don't play with those #1 through #6 "menus" anymore.
  3. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

This seems to vary greatly by region. Here in the Norrhwest we do 42 mow, edge, blow, weed removal visits and 3-5 leaf pickup visits in the fall/winter. I include 5 ferts. Everything else is extra. We charge the same amount every month of the year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Still haven't got the hint? If they really cared they would have already done it or paid you to do it. They aren't full service to me.
  5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Freebies to a customer is like crack to a crack head. They get addicted and want more freebies. Never give your work away. Now that's not to say some bartering isn't worthy depending on what the circumstances are in the deal.
  6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my full service includes regular mowings, bagging as needed, shrub pruning, generally twice a season, mulch once a season, a spring clean up and fall clean ups.

the way I sell it is to use the fact that full service allows me to fully take care of the lawn so the client doesn't have to worry about it. like with the bagging as needed. when I show up to a full service account if it needs bagged I bag it and charge accordingly no questions asked. with a basic client I can't bag it without there ok or I bag it and not charge the extra amount.

still 90% of my business is basic service with clients getting the other services ala carte.