1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full size truck with 48" scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by srk5252, Apr 3, 2001.

1. srk5252

srk5252 LawnSite Member

I presently own a ford ranger long bed and i've been debating whether to buy a GMC full size pick-up off a family friend. For some of my accoutns i think it would be easier to just load my scag 48" wb in the back. Does anyone know if a 48" will fit in the back of a full size truck and have any of you done this?? Just one of my ideas.
    thanks for the input
  2. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Bunton WB and it fit fine in a full size Ford. I suppose the GMC wouldn't be much different. But make sure you get some good ramps.
  3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

48"s definately fit into the beds of full size pick-ups.
  4. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

It will fit and good luck. I think you need a course in scrubs 101.
  5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Get a trailer, not a new truck. Don't be a scrub. The only mowers you should put in your bed are 21" trim mowers. Of course, it is okay to the put the scag in the bed if you have a trailer that is full. If you have that big of a mower in your bed without a trailer, where do u put tools, gas, trimmers, brooms, rakes, ramps, grass bags, and so on.
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

SRK 5252: You will look more like a professional if you invested in a trailer that fit the size of your truck. You need your truck for hauling debree picked up from customers properties. Seperate trips are to time consuming.

8. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

The 48" will fit no problem, I have fit a 52" in the back of a full size ford before. You can do it but if I where you I'd buy a trailer too.
  9. srk5252

srk5252 LawnSite Member

sorry you must have misunderstood, i do have a trailer but it would just be easier for me to put my wb in my truck bed instead of having to bring my whole trailer to my part-time day job. i do my smaller accounts the days that i have to work my other job. After hearing your input i think it will be wise of me to just continue to use my trailer.
  10. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

I sold an idiot on ebay my 60" Gravely,, he drove for 4 hours to pick it up, and he came in a reg. truck,, i almost fell down laughing at him,,, i told him to come back with a trailer but he insisted on putting it in a truck,,, i said "ok",,, im a pro and it took awhile to get it in,, i can only imagine how long that idiot, who has never ran a walkbehind, took to get it out!!!!!, i was at the store when he arrived,, i had it out and ready, when i drove down the street he was chasing it in circles,, he started it in gear,, i wish i had a camera to so u guys, it was one of the most funny things i have ever seen!!!!!! he weighed like 400 lbs chasing this machine!

Well i should say that a 48" will fit,, but use a trailer scrub!!!!!!