Full sized Bronco for plowing?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Oct 7, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

How do bronco's stand up when it comes to plowing?????I know they have an even smaller wheelbase than a Blazer.I was mainly tthinking about 78-90 bronco's.Have anyone used any for plowing?????How do they hold up?????The reason I'm asking is becouse I see quite a few bronco's with plows,either in my city or up for sale.Anyone have an experince with these trucks??????

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully EricELM will see this thread. He can tell you about his experience plowing with a Bronco... all good by the way!

~Chuck

3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

My first plow truck was a full size Bronco. Standard tranny. Had it 9 years. Went through three plows, but not one clutch. It was a great pushing vehicle. Tremendous for residentials.

Next truck was a F250. Have had that truck for 16 years now. It only works in the winter (yeah... I STILL go out and play in the snow).

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a full size Bronco.

4. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks for the replys!

John-what year of bronco was it???Was it a 78-79???I take it from what you said that it was reliable!What if any parts did you have to replace in the you owned it????

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I had several Bronco's. The old ones were great for plowing, I'm talking 77 and older. I had 4 of them over the years. I also had a 79 Bronco that was great for plowing. The short wheel base was great for turning and also for the circle driveways. If you can find a solid Bronco, go for it, because it is a great plow truck. I haven't used anything newer than a 1979 for plowing in Bronco's. I now use my 97 HD F250 which is doing just fine at plowing.

6. John Allin

Mine was a 77.
    Replaced an alternator once, and then we upgraded it to the largest one we could have. And, we put in a 2nd battery (which we do in every single plow truck we have had - even now).

7. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Or you could install a more significant hydraulic system which increases speed, productivity and reduces downtime.

8. John Allin

In a Bronco ??

9. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

I think the new electric pumps are much better than the under the hood pump. We have a truck with a under the hood pump and does not lift fast enough. And we replaced the pump last year and it still does not make a difference.

10. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

A little Bronco history, for those interested.

The first generation of Bronco's are the 1966-1977. Don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe the wheelbase of the early Bronc's was around 104 inches. They had a Ford 9" rear, with a Dana 44 up front. Base motor was a straight six, backed by a manual three speed and a dana 20 transfer case. A 289 v-8 as well as a auto were optional through '68. Mid year 68 the 302 was introduced and remained as the largest engine offered in a Bronco until '77. There was an optional half cab or full hard top for the first generation Bronco's. Doors and tops are easily removeable. Right now the first generation Broncos are highly desireable and command a high price if in decent shape.

The second generation Bronco are the fullsize 78-79's. They were the first Bronco to be based on the 1/2 ton short box chassis. They also were equipped with the nine inch rear and dana 44. Engines offered were the 302, 351, 400. Gear boxes included either the auto or a manual 4 speed. These years are still plentiful and are good raw building material. A 460 swap is very easy in these models.

The third and final generation are the 1980-1996 models. They are quite similar to the 78-79's. They share the same wheelbase as the 78-79's. But the major weak point is the twin traction beam dana 44 front axle. Don't get me wrong the ttb is a decent axle. But it will never compare to a straight axle. For the rear they had the Ford 8.8 axle. A decent axle, but not as stout as the nine inch. All engines had carbs until '85. In '86 Ford went to fuel injection.

I'd love to have a 78 or 79 to plow with. But for play I'd have to have a 66-77. :)