Full Swing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, May 22, 2007.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Well, finally beyond the half day point and it isn't even June yet. Starting to get testy already. My guess is it shows in a lot of my posts and replies lately. My tolerance levels are really falling off these days. It is amazing the difference between commercial service and in-house maint. Esp. when your following a complete lack of any maint. in the past. Ordered 6 repair kits for No.7 QCV's. I'm getting feedback about why are they leaking now?? Might be because they couldn't leave the system up and running before because of all the other leaks? Also ordered the mechanical seal for my 30HP berkley. If they spring for the new jockey pump, it is looking like a real good year. I also have a line on a great deal to replace those 4 RB1260's. So, it isn't all dark and dreary. How goes the season for the rest of you Mudslingers? The one aspect of commercial maint. that I miss..............When God turns out the lights......you go home :)

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have a fairly low budget, I hate budgets :)

I'm doing an install on memorial day weekend. :)

Going to have to sweat some copper, I have very little experience in that, no copper in my old area.

Any tricks?

Sorry to hijack :)

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

What size copper? I think some Dallas irrigators are better at this than plumbers because of all the old 2" stuff we run into.

4. bicmudpuppy

I have a fairly NO budget :(, but they are trying very hard to make sure I get what I have to have. Part of the problem is the past mis-management. Place has failed to make proper Mortgage payments for the last several years. New board and a complete re-finance of the old debt, but either the bank didn't go for a capitol extension or they didn't think to ask for one.

What are you sweating? Just an inside tap? Don't! The new "shark bite" fittings that are out there are everything they claim to be. They are pricey, BUT, no mistakes and re-usable. They still rotate while in place. The MA's at the BF can be removed in the future for repairs too!

5. Remote Pigtails

I'm busy as heck. Working my other crew into the ground. Can't get my sub fast enough. Have a friggin wiring problem that is driving me bonkers. Training an 18 year old. Up at 5 doing accounting. Returning calls til 9. Trying to get a daughter to a new city. My house is a mess. I have nothing in the fridge to eat. Too tired to shop. My back is killing me. But I'm really really happy.

6. Remote Pigtails

Ain't trusting those shark bites yet. No substitute for sweating.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This is my uncles house. He helped me a bunch when I relocated so I'm doing this as a thank you.

He has 3/4" copper already ran out into his yard. I just need to get a male adapter on it.

Doing this with commercial valves, heads and timer, and HD everything else. I hooked up with my old company for the parts, but I'm limited for everything else, can't fit pipe in my car :D

Sharkbites are probably not at HD.

Its easy as clean, flux fit the fitting on, heat and apply solder around the edges of the fitting right?

8. bicmudpuppy

One 3/4" compression MA would be my answer in a short if your not real confident about your soldering skills. I was looking for a link for the shark bites, but for your deal, just a regular coper compression MA would work great. FWIW, here is a link to an online supply for the sharkbites. I thought HD had them, but I can't find them on line.

http://search.hardwarestore.com/?query=bite+fitting+plumbing+shark&iorb=4764

Hey tails, again, fwiw, the outfit I used to work for made the switch to the shark bites. A lot less call backs than on the soldering and the pipe doesn't have to be dry. I got to do a warranty call on a new system. One of the elboes had a solder problem. Turns out the main shutoff doesn't close well, so I soldered a new 90 and used two shark bite couplers and was in and out in no time flat with the pipe dripping the entire time. I've used them a lot since.

9. Remote Pigtails

Oh yes they are. We've had stories about high pressure systems here where the ding a ling installer tried to run 22 gpm or more through a 5/8 meter and the vibration went into the house and blew the pressure stops off. Soldering is easy. Sand it really well NO DIRT get it nice and shiny as well as the fitting. Flux the fitting and pipe, put on, heat evenly, occasionally touch the cu, when it starts to run keep the heat on and circle the fitting.

10. Remote Pigtails

I might trust sharkbites in a non pressure situation but it's going to be a while before I use them on pressure pipe.