1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full Throttle On The Wacker?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 17, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

do you run your wackers and trimmers full throttle? i have very little mechanical ability, but someone told me a long time ago, that running them full throttle "beats on the machine." it made sense, i only run them as hard as i have to. my wacker guy though, he runs it balls to the wall all the time. a few weeks back he took out a window. listen to this...thursday while we were mowing, i look across the yard, and he's just standing there, wacker laying on the ground. i though he was too hot, taking a break. after he didn't move for a few minutes, i went over. it seems, he was wacking, full throttle, and kicked up a rock. the rock, went into his nostral. the rock, was bigger than his nostral, but had so much intensity, that it split his nostral open, and went inside. he was stunned for a few minutes, had a bloody nose, was able to get the rock out, and had a small tear on his nostral, no stitches required. wack full throttle, or not?
  2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I had a discussion with my dealer on that a couple months ago. He said it was actually best to run the trimmers and blowers full throttle, as they are designed to run best that way. Never running full throttle can lead to plugged screens and such as the machine doesn't warm up as much. I tend to agree with him as I always run the blowers full throttle, and have never had a screen clog on them, but I usually only run the trimmers as fast as needed, and have had screens clog in the past.
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i run my blower full throttle, my trimmer on the other hand, i only run as fast as i need it. i hardly ever get it up over 1/2 throttle. i run amsoil 2-cycle mix, and i know i will never have a problem with a screen getting plugged. i will, however, on occasions, maybe once a week, rev my trimmer up all the way for a minute or 2.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

My dealer has always told me to run all that stuff full throttle as much as possible.
  5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I run the string longer then I would if the guard was there and I run the trimmers as slow as I can to get the job done I hate getting hit and there is no need for it. I think it does foul up the plugs and stuff but replacing them once a week is a small price to pay for quick starting quieter running trimmers. I can not stand when I hear one full throttle they can do way to much damage that way windows which I have never broken yet you hear about them all the time here and lets not forget vinyl siding and fencing that crap can not take those hits nor can young bark on small trees slower is safer and better.
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I don't usually run my trimmers full throttle, more like 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. I don't feel a need to run mine at full throttle all the time. I think the important thing about trimmers is that you use fluid trigger actions and avoid revving up the engine constantly. To explain a little further, a trimmer engine will last alot longer if you keep the trigger going at a constant pace instead of pulling the trigger, then letting off, then pulling the trigger, then letting off...etc... This creates alot of wear and tear on the engine and can ruin the engine or at least take some life off the engine. I would say that keeping the trimmer going at a constant speed, whatever the speed is the important thing to keep in mind.
  7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

lqmustange is right run all trimmers blowers at full throtle as much as possible! they are meant for it.
  8. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

If it's running, it's wide open......otherwise it's cut off.
  9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer also recomends full throttle for trimmer, but it is just not practical all the time. Too much danger from full throttle, I think. I can change plugs and exhaust ports, and even at that I haven't had to do this more than twice a year.

Also wonder if they aren't trying to get you back for repairs sooner.
  10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon trimming conditions.
    If you are wacking down a hillside 20ft x300ft of 3 ft tall grass and weed, run it wide open. Matt just did a hillside like this and burned 3 tanks on the stihl 4 stroke. But if he's trimming alongside vinyl sided houses, tree lines, fence lines, driveways, he will go 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.