full throttle or what?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, May 20, 2003.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

When cutting with my Yazoo 42" ZTR should I be running at full throttle or do you run the throttle back a little. For some reason I seem to remember someone telling me to pull the throttle back a little.

2. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

they did talk about that and if you don't keep it on full throttle its suppose to last a longer time but its slower and it will take a longer time to mow a lawn

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Designed to mow at full throttle.

4. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Small engines like the one's on lawn mowers are made to run in in there max power curve. There is an old fashioned way of thinking that says not to run things hard but this really doesn't apply to modern commercial engines. Let her rip and don't worry about it.

5. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

yes you should always run it full throttle.Just dont engage or disengage the blades wide open:)

6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Honestly I can not believe some of the STUPID questions asked.

When you are running a ZTR mower you are running hydro pumps. In order for them to work properly they must have full power.

Now think about this for one second, just one. You are using blades to cut grass. The faster the blades go the better they cut grass. So why would you run them slow?

You do back off some when you engage the blades to reduce stress on the electric clutch.

But honestly can someone, anyone just think and use some common sense? There are many times I am surprised that several people can even find the seat!:confused: :confused: :confused:

7. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

There are no stupid questions only stupid people who feel the need to make themselves feel superior by making others look bad. Guess what? Someone here looks real BAD!:D

8. the point man

the point man LawnSite Member

Gee whiz, Nelbuts!

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I always run WFO---WOUND FLAT OUT!!Or the other wfo...:D

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I under stand hydralics quite a bit, but there are times,not many, that I do back off just a tad. Especially when the grass is really scarce, like what its like around my hometown, more sand then grass.:(