1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full Time employee - $$, benefits....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by meets1, Mar 18, 2005.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I am hiring a full time employee this spring. The need is there, the work is there and it would give me a little more time to work on being an owner and not always being the owner/worker.

I have two part timers coming for the summer as well.

Question - for those with employee's how do you compensate there work?

Few thoughts are:
    To keep all year - pay salary
    offer a 5% stake in company - his own money, or as a benefit or use as a yearly bonus type of deal.
    Winter is slower, but we have alot of snow removal, this year next to none, but that is down time for us and that is when I would allow him to take vacation. Maybe a weekend thing here or there in the summer but that would be it.
    Offer him a company truck to use. Stimpulation being if he leaves out of town with it to a big box store - he pays for that tank of gas.

He will over see the guys on a day to day situation. I still plan on being in the field, but he will be more of a manager.

Thanks for the input!
  2. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Put yourself in his place and decide what you would want and make your decission. In place of the 5%, offer him a year end bonus based on his performance and hours worked. Looks like a pretty good beny package to give though.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Guys that mow get $15 an hour
    Crew Foremen get $20 an hour (mow/landscaping work)
    $30 an hour to snowplow
    I offer to pay up to 1/2 major medical insurance

NO use of company trucks for personal reasons unless it's an emergency

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I pay by the hour. At Christmas I gave out gifts ($$) and that is all.
    It's a job. Nothing more.

I do pay well and I respect my guys as I will be up sh%$ creek without them.
    Your guys are working for YOUR living, Keep that in mind.
  5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Alot of guys looking at this post - but I am surprised by so very few responces?
  6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on what caliber of employee you want will determine the pay and benifits .
    I have found that the best employee is 28 years old and above with 3 to 5 years experience . Has children , either married or has child support . I prefer to hire someone with a mortage . You generally will pay more for this person . BUT they NEED the job and they need year round employement . The pay will vary depending on your region .

The biggest mistake one can make is hiring a foreman or supervisor that is under qualified only to save a few dollars on payroll. A good man is worth his pay . He will take about 40 percent of the stress off the owner . Allow the owner some time off . And make expansion easier.