1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full time estimator

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by site, May 2, 2002.

1. site

site LawnSite Member

Does anyone employ a full time estimator? I know many contractors do. How do you get them thinking like an owner? How much training is necessary? How do you reward them? Do they usually sell too?
  2. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

My goal is to have one in two years, estimating 200+ properties a year gets hectic so will hve to hire one i normally do not work the first 2 weeks so that i can devot all of my time to estimates, there is a company in town that has a full time estimate and it seems to work well
    AK Lawn
  3. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

are we talking about a estimator for construction work or for maintenance work?
  4. site

site LawnSite Member

Landscape installations.
  5. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

salary, company vehicle, health benefits and a precentage of gross sales is the norm according to the most recent ALCA Salary Survey.

Salesman is not responsible for achieving profitability if they work off of a pricing schedule you supply (yes, I know it's difficult to swallow - but it's true). If you want to tie commission to profitability, it'll be better for your company, but you still accept the risk if the job is not profitable. If you pay a percentage of profit, then you have to have a program in place to track costs in order to know profitability.

They NEVER think like an owner. Ever.