1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full time grounds keeper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., May 16, 2004.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

One of my new customers the one that i told you guys that talked me up on my price in spring. He told me that he wished that he had met me before i started my compnay becasue he would of hired me and a crew to maintain his propertys and golf courses. He told me the offer to maitain his private country club is always on the table. Do the people that are in charge of golf course maint. make good money? Is this even a question to change so late in the game?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had a offer from a doctor two years ago about being his total grounds keeper. It would be nice, but I would want a contract for at least a minimum of 5 years. But even after those 5 years who is to say that he will keep you
  3. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

True we already have a guy at his home full time just taking care of things. But this is for golf course maint. so i would go to school to.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

That's an "all-eggs-in-one-basket" situation, and you'd be dead meat if he 86'ed the contract. You're probably better off not being in that predicament.
  5. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

golf courses are more than full time jobs. Figure 4-5am to 7-8pm. I was an assisstant at one of the nearby courses for 4 years. The superintendant got $105,000 a year plus a new truck every 2 years. there is good money, but there are also alot more issues you need to deal with. Different types of grass, chemicals for certain areas at certian times, diseases on grass, irrigation. It is really alot of work. Its not just mow and go. Plus most superintendents have degrees in golf course maintenance. You need to be a state certified in fertilizer and pesticide applications. You are the boss of many others. An 18 hole course has about 30 employees that care for just the course itself. Good luck if you can do it but just be sure you know what the he;; your getting into.
  6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Martin is correct, I worked at a big time golf course, Black diamond, it ranked in the top 10 in the US I think. There is a lot involved. I couldnt even believe what they do. Everything has to be perfect. And you deal with a lot of BS. Those in chanrge are there at 5am and stay till dark many time.
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

A golf course super also has to not mind having two or three hundred different people "suggest" how he do things each month. Two or three hundred people who are probably used to having things done just right and who aren't having to directly pay to have it done and expect miracles. Keep that in mind.