1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

full time jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Oscapes, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Oscapes

Oscapes LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I know I already asked this question in the "the starting in the business" forum, but I realized that I may get a better response on the "commercial lawn care" forum.

My question was, how many of you work a full time job and do the lawn care on the side? If those that do that, how many accounts do you have time for?
  2. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I work a 40 hour job, and do lawn care on the side. My days off rotate, and I work a month of days, and then a month of swings. With my crazy schedule, all I can handle is @ 10 accounts. Which, is what I have now.
  3. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Fulltime job here, sell communication equipment, telecom & data. But in two weeks I'm moving on to real estate, passed my tests and have one more weekend of schooling.

My intention was to go fulltime this season with the LCO business but we backed off on that so that I can focus on real estate and get some clientele built up there. I have 14 accounts right now, all commercial, and 2 more that I'll probably be adding in the next couple weeks or so. With a full time job, the LCO biz on the side and two boys under age 4...it gets pretty hectic.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last year I had 20 accounts and worked approx 12 hours (3 days) one week and 16 hours (4 days) the other week. Bounced around due to bi-weekly accounts. You could probably do 25-30.....just depending on the time it took.
  5. Oscapes

Oscapes LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
  6. utterway landscaper

utterway landscaper LawnSite Member

I work 50 hours a week 4 0n 4 0ff and I have 10 lawn accounts and I still have two days off
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

For a number of years I had a full time job...although I quit/resigned last year and I'm making an attempt to increase our customer base. I have a LLC with my brother as a partner. He also worked full-time...BTW we were both attending college...he was going for his bachelor's and I was going for my masters.

Depending on the year I (we) had between eight and eleven residential weekly accounts and between one and two commercial accounts. However, these commercial accounts were small...one was smaller than any lawn we had. Properties ranged anywhere from a 1/2 acre to ~2 acres mowable. We offered additional services like mulch, plant/tree installs, and all the other little lawn things..spring/fall cleanups, leaf removal, etc. It worked very well for us. We would work are week by doing ~5-6 lawns in one town on lets say a Thursday and then the rest on Friday. We would leave Saturday's for rainouts, extra work, or just a plain 'ol day off. If we got busy, which we often did in spring we would do some work on Sundays...especially at the commercial establishments cause no one is their on Sunday mornings and they didn't care...the place looked nice for the start of their business week.
  8. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I used to work Tues-Fri and Mowed on Mon with 15 accounts. This year I changed jobs requiring me to work Mo-Sat most of the time and I don't have as much time to "regular" accounts. So now I just do residential landscape jobs that come along and side mowing-trimming jobs.
  9. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

Hey, I am planning on taking the real estate saleperson class offered here. Any pointers besides, "It's hard, study a lot"? That's what I've been told by most. It's worth it, I'm sure.
  10. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I'm not a good study person, especially at age 39. But I crammed the day and morning before my tests and passed the first time through. I didn't have any room to spare on my national test as I got 75% right on the nose, my state test I got 77%. In your classes you'll cover things like contract law, all forms of ownership, leasing, all mortgage types & financing, state statutes, etc. It's pretty broad and a lot of info to learn in a short time period...by yes I think it's well worth it. Once you have the license you will have it forever as long as you keep up with the CE. Here we have to take three courses, the second & third course is where you learn all the stuff you'll need to do the job. Good luck if you persue it, I've got one more weekend class and I'm done, be rocking & rolling in two weeks.