full time jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fivestarlawnken, Aug 22, 2001.

?

How many of you work full time jobs and Landscape part time?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2001.
  1. work full time

41 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. work part time

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. 100% self employed

45 vote(s)
    46.9%
  1. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

How many out there work full time jobs, not related to your landscaping business?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I went all the way. I didn't want any safety net. That way I had no excuses. It was sink or swim. I was able to apply 100% focus.

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am with 65Hoss. I went FT within my first 2 weeks in this business. I had to struggle to keep my head above water the first two winters but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wanted to have no fall backs. Nothing that would allow me to fail or serve as a safety net.

Furthermore, if you study human psychology you'll find that most of the time Men have a difficult time focusing on more than one project at a time (whereas women are typically great at multi-tasking). And I knew that was definitely true of me. There was no way I could put my full effort into two seperate ventures. One or both would be seriously lacking my full attention. I didn't want that.

There is an excellent book on this very subject aptly named, "You can't steal second with your foot on first." Great book.

4. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

i am a full time college student, and that makes it very hard to have a big business. In the summer i work/volunteer to use up any time that i have remaining. But when i go away to school i have two guys that do all the work and i just get to see the results $$$.

5. I've been full time at this for the last 12yrs.

And some times had a full time job working some where else to boot. While working in lawn care full time. It's not always peches and cream.

LGF:blob1:

6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I've been doing this for 14 years full time. Have got responsibilities with wife, kids, home, blah blah blah. I like the money and the security it provides for my family, but I'm no kid anymore. If I had to do it over again I think I'd be wearing a $600.00 suit and selling mutual funds for fidelity. It's hard to believe we're almost to labor Day already.

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im full time. but i gurantee for every full timer ,theres at least one
    part time . mabe ten. at least around here

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This will be a great pole if everyone votes, and votes honestly. I wanted to do this pole myself. I sometimes wonder if alot of people that do this with the crutch of a full-time job, realize what it takes to run a business. I started out trying to work my full-time job and that lasted two weeks and then quit it. I couldn't do both with 100% effort to each of them. Now it's sink or swim. So far so good, and getting better.
    I think to myself that do these part-timers really keep good track of their costs and expenses, or not? Does every roll of paper towels, or every sandwich from the gas station, the maintenance on the truck, the roll of stamps, the envelopes, the printer cartridge, the thank you cards, etc. etc. etc.! Is EVERYTHING supported by the business or not? I am sure some do but can guarantee most don't. Until you support yourself 100% you have no way of knowing what it really takes. If you don't think so, ask any person that is 100% self-employed. It is an eye opener and makes you appreciate what it takes to support yourself and to make ends meet! To not take things for granted. There is alot to worry about when you don't punch a time clock, but that was my choice and it was the right one. I am responsible for everything and have nobody to blame but myself. If I screw up, I don't get paid. Nobody takes the hit here except me.

9. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I admit i look up to all of you putting 100% full time into it.I do this part time and i admit i don't detail every expense,when i started i tryed , but all i got was a headache.I'am being honest with you guys and gals.Keep up the good work.:blob3:

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Your honesty is commendable fivestar. Everybody has their reasons for what they do and that's great. I certainly don't feel someone that owns their own business is by any means better, they just have a few extras to worry about. Like now, it rained all night, it's raining now, and I have two big topsoil and seeding jobs to do for the city I live in. I don't want to complain because we definately need the rain, but the timing could be better. Oh well, time to change the schedule I guess!