1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Full Time next season...How often do you evaluate operating costs?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by C Jovingo Landscaping, Oct 7, 2012.

1. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Did a search & could not find what I'm asking. I am getting all my ducks in a row to go full time next season & was wondering....as you're growing a business

How often should you re-evaluate operating costs?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Everyday I guess, its gonna drive you crazy how expensive this business is too operate

3. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing it part time for 3 yrs now with 6yrs expierience working for an LCO in my early days. Are you serious with every day? What if you don't gain any new clients daily.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Quarterly, unless you have major changes. Higher growth or decline in sales, new employees, or gaining a large account. I usually glance over them quarterly and at the end of the season I sit down and try to see what is going well and what needs to be improved on.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like Larry said, everyday! You'll wonder why in the world did I do this. My advise, keep your other job and keep doing lawn care as a part time gig! Its probably different in areas with a large population but where I live, population of around 100k there must be at least 100 different landscaper and probably another 30-40 no names. If you are hell bent on going f/t, just know your costs and stick to them, search high and low for a good employee and dont get complacent!