Full time or on the side?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by CuttingEdgeLawnGuys, Apr 25, 2013.

?

Do you cut grass Full time or on the side as Part time

Poll closed May 25, 2013.
  1. Full Time

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Part Time

41 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. Umm...who said I cut grass at all?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

LOL!! We give each other a hard time. He really is a great guy and has been nothing but good to me and my family! He LOVES to talk about 90210 :laugh:

2. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

How is he in person? Never had the pleasure of meeting him as I have Phil
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. corey4671

He's what you hear on the radio. He's got a huge heart and loves to help people. Glad to call him a friend.

4. corey4671

5. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

Part time here, I'm the CFO of an electric utility during the day. I ran a small lawn business when I was younger, and was able to put myself thru college mowing lawns.

Our company is actually my son's business. He's 16, and working hard to establish a lawn/landscaping business. We currently have about 15 accounts, and are growing. He has a great passion for the business, and is quickly developing a good business sense.

6. glovelis

glovelis LawnSite Member

Part Time. Started it in college as a side gig, I was working for an electric cooperative 20 hours a week. This is my 9th year teaching middle school science and 12th year mowing part time. I read alot of you guys complaining us part timers bringing the industry down. I for one am proud to say that I do everything by the books: taxes, insurance, etc. I also strive to price my yards competitively so to not leave any money on the table. I love cutting grass and making properties look awesome and hearing people talk about how well I do, it would be hard to give up. I also love teaching science and the two careers compliment each other (around 10 weeks off in the summer)

7. Flatlinegt

Flatlinegt LawnSite Member

Part time. I make over six figures a year at my full time job, however I really enjoy being outside. Also I have been thanked more times in 1 year of doing this then in 7 years as a nurse.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

And here the clients won't poop on you.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm glad you do your business like you do. i wish every part timer did that then everything would be ok.

i still don't see how teaching and mowing work together. maybe it depends on where you live.

here i start mowing in mid march and school doesn't get out until the end of may and then school starts back up in august and i mow until the end of october and do leaves in nov and dec.

to me there would be alot of conflict in the schedule. i would have to teach and mow at the same time for 4-6 months out of the year.

10. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I work at UPS part time. It's for insurance only about 13-15 hours a week. I'm a full time grass cutter!