Full time or on the side?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by CuttingEdgeLawnGuys, Apr 25, 2013.

?

Do you cut grass Full time or on the side as Part time

Poll closed May 25, 2013.
  1. Full Time

21 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Part Time

41 vote(s)
    66.1%
  3. Umm...who said I cut grass at all?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i didn't know ups had part time workers. if i worked for them i'd be a driver. they make over $30 an hr. and work about 50hrs or more a week.

2. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Around here, there's a sunrise shift loading the trucks. Not many hours but you get insurance.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CuttingEdgeLawnGuys

CuttingEdgeLawnGuys LawnSite Member

That's awesome!! using them for their insurance!!! I mean ummm....Helping load trucks for a few hours a week and cutting grass on the side!!

4. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

Part time. Ended my first year in 09 with 28-30 yards, cut back to 17 due to being a chemical operator at oxy chem doing shift work which works good for me. I kinda want to cut back to about 13 or 14 lawns. I killed myself the last 4 years but i made some money.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah they do have those guys. they work from like 4am-8am 5 days a week loading the trucks. 20hrs a week.

that would be a good setup if you didn't have to get up so early. :laugh:

6. CuttingEdgeLawnGuys

CuttingEdgeLawnGuys LawnSite Member

had no idea the polls would be this heavy on the part time side!

7. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't sure how to respond since I have a full-time office job, but spend more time mowing. Like Snyder said, it's not just a job, it's a big part of my life. I really enjoy it this time of year. Not as much in August, and most years I'm anxious to wind things down in November.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i think everyone feels that way in this industry.

....can't wait to get going in the spring....

...start getting tired of it in july and august...

...then sept and oct enjoy it again and realize how great this job really is...

the worst parts of this job are getting things started and sorted out each year since every customer seems to want to start at a different time and then dealing with the heat in july and august.

everything else is great.

9. LandmarkLandscapes

LandmarkLandscapes LawnSite Member

Full-time, landscape design and implementation keeps me busy.

10. rklawn

rklawn LawnSite Member

Part Time - doing it for free because I loved being outdoors after being stuck in the office all day. Spent a year volunteering to cut the rifle club I belong to with a Hustler ZTR. Fell in love with it and got it rolling on my own now. Loving it every minute. If I can build it big enough I may say goodbye to Corp America for good!:waving: