Full-Time or Part-Time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, Aug 15, 2005.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

what makes the difference what could you make good off if you did part-time
    25 accounts? full time would be how many accounts ? whats a good amount of accounts for each ?

2. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

depends on how many hours you're servicing. you could be full time at 4 lawns if they were big enough.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

... it depends somewhat on size of yard(s) and type(s) of work you do, location (spread / distance), how much TIME you have (if p/t) AND time of year. In summer, most anyone can handle DOUBLE the accounts they can handle in spring but as a rule MOST your customers you pick up in spring and then summer is slow (not only is demand low but you either slow down voluntarily because of the heat OR the heat will slow you down involuntarily).
    Then in fall all hell breaks loose again until x-mas and that's about it until april next year, so it is seasonal at least in va.

I do things full-time and most of what I do is grass-cutting and I have somewhere over 50 accounts (maybe 52, 54, it fluctuates constantly) and I could handle 60-65, maybe 70 BUT they are ALL from an acre down to 1/4 acre and a few even smaller:
    - You need the machine(s) / right equipment. The newer the better but this stuff is expensive, took me 3-4 years to buy brand-new commercial grade stuff (I started with used wb's).
    - You need Experience!!! In my 1st year, most I could do was 8 yards/day F/T while average was 5-6, now I can do up to 12 while average is 8-10, some these guys brag off about doing 20-30 / day (beats me, i dunno how they do it).
    - And last but NOT least, you need the customers !!! 50-some ACTIVE accounts is easier said than done, you might pick up 10-20 the first year but some guys take right off with the full complement, it varies with supply / demand.

I mean for p/t, anywhere from 10-20 accounts, maybe 25-30 but it depends how much time you can devote and keep in mind, dedicated lco's will rule the customer base while some p/t'ers have 40-50 and more accounts... And like the other guy said, 4 yards could be enough if they're large enough. Again it depends on size of yard, some these guys have a literal row of 6-10 yards where they come in and knock out the whole slew in a couple hours, while others like myself prefer larger yards with a 10-15 minute break in between.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

4. mikefromny

thanks for the input...im just trying to see whats best im a united states postal worker ..(mail man) i got uncles in the field willing to help me get incorp. and quitment and all that.. but the thing is im debating whether or not workering with this before i go to work or having a friend and a laborer go out for me and collect.... instead of me and the friend .. its him and laborer so im trying to see how many accounants will decide that for me.. which would be worth it .. i understand what your saying .. most yards in the ny area i live in are all the same stanard small nothing big ..some decent yards but no big acres of land u know.. so im thinking 50 accounts would mean full time without me working and 25-30 part time with me working in the mornings hustling? sounds easier said than done ? i know but its a hustle everything is....

5. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

I think 55-60+ is full-time. How do you plan on advertising yourself? 50-60 accounts is easier said than done!

6. mikefromny

those are the exact words i said. in the above statement ..easier said than done im sure of that..well i guess well see what happens i mean take a chance if i get that many iget that many if i get around 20 ill be doin it parttime and working if i get 50's ill be hiring worker .. thanks for the input guys..anybody in new york or tri-state area on this forum?

7. MrFangs

MrFangs LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Best of luck to you!