Full time SOLO guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass pro llc, Sep 15, 2009.

1. grass pro llc

grass pro llc LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

For those who do lawn care full time and are a solo operation, how many accounts do you have and what do you roughly make annually doing it.

2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

I have about 10,000 accounts, but I only make about .50 per day. Can't figure out why I don't make more, I work about 22 hours per day.:hammerhead:

1 person might have 1 account that takes him the whole week and another might have 100 postage stamp size yards.

3. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

What I am trying to say is that you won't get any serious answers that will mean anything to you or anybody else for that matter. Just like accounts will vary with size and your location in the US/world, Your gross income could be 3 million and you could be making less (after expenses) than someone grossing 75k per year.

4. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm...another potential solo operator that wants to "jump in" to the mowing arena?? What makes you think anyone in their right mind wants to share personal info with a total stranger on the internet?? Some things you just have to find out for yourself...:hammerhead:

5. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

That's the whole point of the internet and this forum:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

That being said, I'm not telling him either:laugh:

6. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I'm solo, got about 300 accounts, gross about $650,000 a week, every week, 6 months outta the year. Put together those numbers, that's what I make.

Here's a pic of my Rarri when I was at Mizner Park in Boca last week.
    [​IMG]

7. slamjamrockinman

slamjamrockinman LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, another one of these threads. Just a tip for you, VERY few if any people on here will tell you what they honestly make. Secondly, the number of accounts that someone does is almost irrelevant (size of accts differs). Just some advice if you hadn't figured out that not many will give you a serious answer.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going solo you need to think big as in being productive. You need the most efficient equipment you can get for the type lawns you plan to service because time is money and with out a helper you need to make up for that lost time. You need to plan routes carefully, be innovative and find ways to get the job done as quickly as possible while keeping quality high. I have to hire some help, it has rained all year so learning to delegate responsibility has not been fun (but a learning experience).

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

Like has been said, account size greatly varies. I did ONE acount today. BIG account. BY contrast, I did 10 yesterday and tomorrow I'll do 7 while Thursday I have 10 and five Friday. They can range anywhere from 7k sq ft up to 4 acres. I've always felt like if I were exclusively in an area where I had nothing but 10K sq and smaller lots I could easily knock out 10-12 of them a day getting anywhere from $30-$40 each so say average of 11 @ $35 you have roughly $385/day 5 days $1925/wk x 32 weeks and you're looking at $60k GROSS. Granted with small lots like that you won't need a BIG ZTR so your cost there is down. With a good tight route your fuel stays low. A good 1/2 ton truck with either a WB or stander will get the job done. Guesstimate roughly $25/day in fuel for mower and $30/day for truck now your looking at around $10k a year in fuel. Figure in taxes, license and ins. This is purely an EXAMPLE of a perfect world but it gives you something to chew on.

10. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

If you are solo I would say keep your prices high and only have a stander and a 21" and a cheap truck. $40 x 12 a day times 5 days= $2,400 x 28 weeks for your area= $67,000. In the spring and fall on saturdays do 10 aerations 16 weeks out of the year $75x160= $12,000. You will make $75k a year with very low overhead.