Full Time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Mar 28, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

When did you all figure out when to go full time? I know many of you stared out full time but for those who started this as a part-time job when did you feel secure enough to go full time. I am getting close to the max where as I have enough clients to keep me busy four out five nights and Saturday. I have fifteen regular mowing clients and about twenty fert and squirt clients. I have very low overhead. Just your basics as in insurance, gas etc. All of my equipment is paid for. Looking forward to replies.

2. spcfoor

Nobody would like to offer some advise?

3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if you have enough income coming in to pay your bills it is time to go full time. The main reason most people don't work for themselves is because of the initial chance you have to take. Good luck, with whatever you decide to do.

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I'd love to answer but you were asking for responses from people who went from doing it PT and then went to FT later. I wasn't one of those. I jumped in head first FT and just made it work. That was 10 years ago and it's been working well. First years were rather rough. But if I hadn't jumped in all at once like that I don't think I ever would have really pursued it seriously as a real occupation.

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I started as part time. Went full time when I couldnt take working 16 hour days any longer. It sounds to me as though you need to add more clients before droping your regular job.

6. spcfoor

The problem with adding more customers is that I have just enough time take care of the ones I have. If I add any more I'm afraid that if it happens to rain or something else then I be behind and won't be able to offer the customer service that I feel is necessary.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

What's it like in the winter for you? Do you guys do year-round service in OK? Or does your lawn care biz. all but fold up for the winter?

Also, what's your family situation and health insurance situation? If you're a single guy then my advice would be different than if you are married with kids. But then again if you are married and your family has a great health plan through your wife's job, then my advice would be different too than if you were married and everyone was counting on YOUR health insurance plan at your current FT job.

8. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I just jumped into it full time when I lost my job. Best thing I ever did. Just wish our season was longer and I could depend more on the snow in the winter.

9. spcfoor

Winter is pretty slow down here. Most of the lawns down here are bermuda and it goes dormant in the winter. But there is always leaves and small landscaping jobs that need to be done. There is also chrismas lights to hang but I really hate to do it. That is the very reason I'm still at my ft job is the insurance. My wife lost her job last oct and is now working but on my ins. I really appreciate the advise.

10. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I agree. The family situation is a big deal. If you are single go for it and really try to get some more accounts. 15 is border line on being able to make a living. How many more do you think you could pick up in a short amount of time?

REV.