1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Full uniform, Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ProMaintenance, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ProMaintenance

ProMaintenance LawnSite Member

I am currently a single man operation, and have company shirts. With our logo and phone number. I was thinking about going to a full uniform with dickies work wear style shirts and pants. No other yard care company in my area dose this, some have company t shirts. I am thinking that having a nice clean professional uniform will help me stand out as being more professional. Most guys from other companies i see around town look like smacked ass. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has rocked a full uni if it is worth the money?
  2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

when its only a 1 man operation and you wear a shirt....how would anyone know what the uniform was? If the uniform was dickies and you wore a company shirt or the uniform was blue jeans and a shirt.....How would customers be able to tell with no one else to compare it to. If you have 4 or 5 guys in the yard all wearing the same shirts and pants you can tell it's a uniform.
  3. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

it does look more professional. get some new shirts made up and stick to the same color dickies and shirts all the time, and you can get away with very little money spent. neat and clean always looks good. image is important in sales, and you are selling yourself.
  4. ProMaintenance

And that is exactly what I am going for. I not only want to do more professional work than my competition but I want to look good doing it. I also feel that it will help in marketing and my company image and brand as well
  5. djlunchbox

djlunchbox LawnSite Member

it will, a cheap investment too.
  6. Mowbizz

Mowbizz LawnSite Senior Member

I can do a professional job in my camo shorts and t-shirt and do-rag...
    Don't really see what difference clothes make in this business...uniforms...bleh!
    I make myself comfortable and do a better job because of it...
    Actually had clients compliment me on my camo shorts...but hey...whatever floats yer boat! :usflag:
  7. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

We run the same dark grey shitrs (match grey trucks)and black pants(fall,spring ,winter) summer kahki shorts ,work boots. Been doing this since we were a 3 man operation in the early 90's. Now we run 6-13 guys (seasonal) and look great all year matching! It really makes a great statement like look at us we are the real deal! It costs me from 800-1200 per year to get new stuff and that sucks big tailpipe but wth its worth it! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. ProMaintenance

Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it, this web site is an awesome tool for new guys like me
  9. f50lvr2

f50lvr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I think when you're solo it makes a bigger difference to make your truck/rig look distinctive. You're customers aren't going to forget what you look like no matter what you wear and neighbors are more likely to notice your vehicle and trailer than they are you.
  10. ProMaintenance

Good advice and I fully agree. I am getting my truck professionally lettered this winter. I finally got a truck that I am not ashamed to have my name on.