Fully Shrouded Fixtures

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Eden Lights, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

I really haven't done a install in several years without some number of fully shrouded fixtures, but yet most of the major fixtures lines discussed here don't offer a fully shrouded glare free fixture. All the top designers that speak at conferences, classes, and etc. preach proper shielding as a major focus. Not only does the lens need to be recessed and fully shrouded, the finish needs to be a flat and glare free coating also. We have always used BK, Lumiere, and HK for this need and now we also use the New Vista fixture when working within a tight budget.

ZX-16-AZ_PB.jpg

2220-LS.jpg

BK Delta star.jpg

1.jpg

2. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Those fixtures are a maintenance nightmare as they fill with debris and block the transmission of light.

3. Eden Lights

While we just started using the Vista 2220 LS and I can't speak of it's Lumen depreciation due to water spots, the Lumiere 203, the BK Delta stars, and the HK fully shrouded ZX16 have performed flawlessly. The Delta star is probably the worst drainer of the three, but we still only have minimal frosting of the lens that wipes right off during maintenance checkups. We have one BK Delta star install in a wooded area that is three years old and have never had to do any lens cleaning. Everybody's different, but if the viewing angles are 360 degrees the fixture is fully shrouded or a grated in-grade in all of our installs.

4. Eden Lights

Ok, I am working on a proposal for a Blvd and we are uplighting and downlighting trees in the center islands. Five to six fixtures per tree around the canopy and one hanging downlight in the center of each tree. Homes on each side of trees with sidewalks on bothsides along with car traffic on both sides. What fixture would you guy's spec? We have fully shrouded fixtures with Hex cell louvers in our plan. We also have the ok to place our fixtures and then the mulch beds will go at least three feet outside of that.

5. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

That's weird, last night I was leaving a community that had me thinking about an identical problem. A line of several mature live oaks in an island between two lanes. Glare everywhere.

All those angles for up lights for the large spreading canopies were in one way or another whacking drivers in the face.

The only thing I could think was grated wells with 90 degree aiming, several feet away from the trunks, to hit the canopy, combined with long-shielded downlights to illuminate the trunk (I would avoid uplights for trunks). Unique makes nice brass "growth" rings for ingrades which should help keep plant matter and mulch away from fixtures.

This is where I would include in the budget a landscaper to place a few dark slow-growing evergreens (hollies, etc.) placed between oncoming cars and the fixtures.

I have no problem manipulating the landscape as needed to help achieve illumination goals.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We often times add small ornamentals with clients approval just for this reason or if a fixture MUST go out in plain view we plant something near it like Aztec grass or something to make the fixture less noticable.

I think the main reason more lines dont have the 360 or a better shroud is they are striving to be compact. Making a large shroud would cut off the photometrics more. I would like to see more fixtures with a preinstalled large cell cut off louver.

I really like how low profile the 15384 is but it does little to hide glare. Same with many of the standard mr16 bullets out there.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Eddie,
    The Vista is a sound light for the budget conscience. I have used them for years without trouble. For uplighting trees I found the vista 5271 inground MR-16 with a partial shroud and hexlouver to be very effective. The pics show the fixture under the trees with the louvers, (w/o) the shroud. I should have used them here. The glare from them is dramitically exagerated due to a 30 second exposure on my camers. Even without the shield though, there is minimal glare at all. Sorry for the bad pics

angelos.JPG

angus0001_5.JPG

8. Eden Lights

The Vista 2220 LS is new and it can eliminate most glare for 360 degrees.

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Eddie,
    I guess I havn't tried one of those fully shrouded ones yet. I don't usually use a bullet for direct uplighting but I am sure it will work.

10. Eden Lights

Tim, the 5270 series is a solid light for the money and we use it alot when the fixture must be placed in the turf, but even the 5271 is no where close to glare free. We have a rule that if you can see the glass during the day than it will be a negative in the final composition.