Fun day at the dealer today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greyst1, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

So today i was prepping my exmark for the season (i.e. new plugs, oil change, filters, lube, wash n wax, nut'n n bolt'n everything, blah blah blah) and i guess my muscles were in Rocky 4 mode and over tightened the oil drain hose plug and snapped the fitting.

I was like O chit that did not just happened. So ok i knew i had some parts to remove (i.e starter, p. brake linkage) to get to the drain hose assembly and as anticipated no prob. Came off like i knew it would. So i figure i'll go to the toro dealer 1st because they are down the street from my house and it's a common item amongst toro and exmark since both use Kohler. Well, i strike out and they don't stock it. So i make to the trip to Akron (about 15 minutes form N. Canton) to my exmark dealer and to my surprise they don't stock it. Called another dealer about 30 min away and they didn't have it.

I was like WTF WTF, what do you dealers stock beside oil, filters, and blades.... I swear most dealers are useless, worthless, lazy BUMBS!!!

This should be a stocking item since its easily broken not to mention it's such a low dollar item.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant but for those of you who are your own mechanic i'm sure you'll understand my frustration and for you dealers on here please stock some parts other than oil n filters.

Whats even more ef'd up is they didn't even have anti scalpers in stock. This dealer was supposedly a Star dealer or what ever exmark calls a full stocking dealer. What a joke.....
  2. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

Preachin to the choir my friend. I've had my best push mower (a 21" toro commercial) at the dealer for a week. I would have fixed it myself but its still under warranty. Apparently they had to order a part for it. I've got three push mowers, but we have to use two at a time sometimes and my backup is piece of crap!
  3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Was beltz one of them?
  4. Greyst1

You know it neighbor, Troy is a hard worker which i can respect. I rarely buy parts from the dealer and typically i know what stocking and what's not which why i was a little pissed...

Anyhow, how's your season going? Was going to start mowing this week but with the rain i dunno. Did you start yet?
  5. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut a couple today. Then picked up a bunch sticks for a customer. So far things are off to a screwed up start with this screwed up weather.

Be greatful you have a dealer, my dealer is a chemical company and dane went out of business. So imaging how I feel when things break,lol. But beltz saved my butt when my spindle shaft broke. To bad they didn't help you out.
  6. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I got you beat. I broke the left-handed bolt that hold the water pump impeller on. This is on a KAW FD731D. Who carries left handed bolts? And how are you supposed to know the bolt is left handed till you break it off with and impact?

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first became a delaer I stocked up on a bunch of random parts. I bought a drain plug and its still sitting on my shelf 6 years later.

Not takeing your dealers side because I DO have one in stock but its not a fast moving part.
  8. Greyst1

Yea I get it, not a fast moving part. However you stock one.... Any chance you want to open a dealership in North Canton Ohio?
    Posted via Mobile Device

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol thats a bit of a commute every day.
  10. elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1 LawnSite Senior Member

A few months ago I had my 21" Super Recycler tuned up at the dealer, brought it home, sat w/ no gas for about 2 days, attempted to start it, and wouldn't. brought it back, and they said there was a primer bulb issue, no problem, get it back, come home from school and my garage smells like gas, and lots of it. Something was wrong with the primer bulb that they just "fixed", which made the entire gas tank drain on the floor. TOTAL TRIPS MADE - 3

All the while, they've been wanting me to purchase a $7000+ Grandstand from them and i'm like saying to myself "if you can't even make the correct repairs to a little 21", what makes you think that i'll buy and have you service anything bigger?

This has been my rant of the day