Fun job this week

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, Jun 20, 2012.

  1. TriCountyLawn

    TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,517

    Use some swing pipe next time. Good luck.
     
  2. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,192

    I thought you were joking about the spray head, I guess not.
     
  3. Mikegyver

    Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,810

    The nearest swing pipe was 100 miles away at my supplier and they were closed. I learned that thats something that I need to keep on the truck. I know it looks like crap but I tried my best under the circumstances. I should have kept it a little cleaner...I did clean every joint though (given).
    Mike
     
  4. Mikegyver

    Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,810

    What do you mean? the head itself?
     
  5. cjohn2000

    cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 553

    I used to have the same problem with messy primer. I learned to shake the brush out to eliminate the excess, or just use clear primer. I don't know what kind of glue you use but Wet R' Dry sets faster. Carry parts to make your own swingjoints, but I like to have premade, like the Hunter because it saves time. Can't change the world by the weekend.... Just sayin:waving:
     
  6. cjohn2000

    cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 553

    Whats up with the rusty pipe underneath? Maybe im a little OCD but I would have at least slapped a coupler and extended it up and put a male adapter into the controller. I wouldn't be afraid to shorten the cord, and I always make sure if I need to to upgrade the outlet cover to a while in use. At least you used a romex clamp on 'er.
     
  7. mitchgo

    mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,769

    Maybe learn from a pro before start doing your own repairs?

    Sure it works... But are you satisfied with your work?
     
  8. Mikegyver

    Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,810

    I didn't have any of that pipe on hand. I should have just lowered it so the pipe would have been at the bottom of the box. Ya I should have shortened the AC cord.
     
  9. Mikegyver

    Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,810

    I would but I doubt any of the guys in town would hire me since I have a landscape company and have started irrigation. Its not like I just got my license and am starting an irrigation business...I got my license to complement the other things I do.
    Mike
     
  10. ArTurf

    ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark
    Posts: 3,413

    Here are some suggestions that I would have done differently.

    I would have replaced the conduit going into the controller, this would look neater and more proffessional. Did you write the station locations on the program/instruction sheet with approximate run times. Did you ask them if they might want a rain sensor?

    On moving the head, it would have been easier just to have used a swing pipe fitting and pipe to move the head. Personally I avoid 4" heads if practical. I would have used at least a 6". It is just too easy for turf or plants to overcome a 4" head. This would also make for an easier repair in the future if that fitting breaks then you will have to deal with the T and who knows what else. Since the fitting is the same height as the head my guess is it will be broken in the near future.

    With irrigation it is alot of in the field experience learning process. Keep reading Lawnsite and take notes. Don't do things in "minimalist" way. Do them in a way that if you are working on them later you will not be cussing yourself. Step back and look at your work after you are finished and make a self assessment. Good luck.
     

Share This Page