1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fun job this week

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No, not a fuse. It detects voltage difference between the hot and neutral. If the difference exceeds certain value, it trips.

Yes, you can use a standard receptacle on a GFCI protected circuit, however anything used outdoors needs to be weather rated (resistant) now.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I will correct myself before someone else does. It detects current difference between hot and neutral, not voltage. Good thing I check my own posts. Sorry.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

RainMaster does a neat thing with the hot side where the clock is hardwired and a GFI outlet/switch circuit is provided inside the clock. (lower left)

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

current imbalance actually, i understood you though.

some of the smart pool controllers have a similar arraingment boss but neverless a gfci must be wired at the equipment pad.
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That would be a better and more technically accurate way to state it.

Tis true. Funny thing, just had a client that was having problems with their pool lights, in particular the GFCI receptacle is was wired through kept tripping (the required one at the equipment pad). Turned out to be one of the bulbs was going bad. It was still working, for the very short period of time before it tripped the GFCI.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  6. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry to sound stupid, but why not just plug it in the wall? It would be extremely hard and beyond budget at this site to hard wire it in. Theres an outlet located conveniently below.
    Ill stomach the criticism. I need to learn. All that I have learned as far as working with irrigation systems/plumbing is through trial and error and of course our irrigation course. I am the only person in my family and even extended family that does any type of service work much less irrigation. I have had to learn everything I know (very very little) on my own. Its been good for me but at the same time it would have helped to have someone take me under their wings for a while to show me the ropes. I do have a neighbor that showed me the right way (overkill) to join pipes and do basic pvc work several years ago. Also have a few irrigators I can call and ask for pointers when in a squeeze.
    Thanks all,
  7. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. Most of our Mcdonalds controllers are hardwired Pro-c's. Had a transformer fail and ended up replacing the transformer while it was "HOT" My boss would rather not bother the manager. Just tryin to make the boss happy.

8. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

To me, its for the same reason I hate non locking controllers. Just sayin :waving:
  9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

That's what we do here; Pump and controler are on a dedicated GFI circuit breaker. Also, we don't plug controlers in outside. At least I don't; everything is hard wired. Exterior GFI outlets are a PIA.
  10. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see the advantage to hardwiring.