Fun job this week

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mikegyver, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Give the client the option. That said, I prefer hardwire as it is a safer and cleaner install and it doesn't eat up an external plug.

2. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I see the advantage in freeing up a plug. I could see it being cleaner if it is run straight back through the drywall. How is it safer? And you could only install outdoor clocks w transformer built in.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the ability to "pull the plug" on anything electrical has value. That being said, I would jump through hoops to make it so my sprinkler system did not depend on a GFCI outlet/circuit never tripping.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Don't run it back through the dry wall, use an extension box. It is safer because it is more water proof, protected from the elements and kid proof. This one was installed before code was changed requiring those massive covers.

DSCN1674a.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If it is wired through a GFCI receptacle, just hit the test button.

The only way you might, and I stress might, be able to get away with not installing without GFCI protection is if you put it somewhere inside like your living room plugged in. Even then a code official would likely shoot it down. Garages are now required to have GFCI protection on all receptacles.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if air conditioning units have a GFCI. If not, then maybe, just maybe, the same sort of disconnect box could be used to feed a controller.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

No, they don't, but then it is not something that people are constantly accessing, with potentially with wet hands either. Further a disconnect is no different than a circuit breaker and offers no personnel protection.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

many years ago i was plumbing a pool/spa for some folks that lived in a gated community/private golf course. their controller was on a gfci inside the garage.

my demmo hammer and hot box would trip the gfci and without access, the landscape suffered, near died because the panel was inside the garage and the owners didn't give the contractor a key to the garage while they took a vacation.

we could have been hung if it were not for the fact that REASONABLE ACCESS was a part of the contract. i contacted the pool contractor when the gfci tripped and told him i was draggin up, be back when i could have power again.

i learned a lot from this situation;

if the owners would have left a spare set of keys with the contractor or
    if the controller would have been hard wired to a sub panel or
    if the exterior outlets would have been on a separate circuit or
    if the controller would have been mounted outside or
    if i had been born rich instead of good looking there would have been no interruption in work or service :laugh::laugh:

BTW boots, at your age you don't want too many people near to you with access to plugs that can be easily pulled. :nono:

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

best point for hard wired so far!

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

One of my accounts just had a similar thing happen. Contractor blew the breaker the controller was on (it was mounted outside) but he didn't know where the panel was (it was outside too), so he left the breaker tripped and I got the call the lawn was getting crispy.