fun!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXNSLighting, Oct 9, 2007.

1. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well i spent almost 4 hours today scalping and seeding! Very fun experience. cant wait to do it again tomorow. threw out 75 pounds of seed to!

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Only 75lbs in that much time, were yo throwing it by hand or something:cool2:

3. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Before I came to this forum I never heard of scalping. I usually just bypassed these threads since they made no sense. If I scalped someone's lawn here up north, it would mean I destroyed a part of their lawn down to bare soil, destroying the grass so it would not regrow..

Is this like thatching/overseeding?

4. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

We scalp just about all of our lawns here in Atlanta in the spring, and fall if overseeding...Get those babies down to about a inch to a 1.5 and you are in good shape. The lower Bermuda is kept, the greener it will be. I have noticed that once you get over 2.5, there is too much tan below and it shows after each cut. But I am with Albery, only 75lbs. We went through almost 2000 lbs of rye grass in a two week period a few weeks ago.

5. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

well this was just one lawn. abour 3-4000 sq feet. 75 pounds not enough?

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

You said it took 4 hours. That small of an area should have only taken 40-60 minutes max.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We always looked forward to the fall planting of rye....but no more. City has decided that rye uses too much water. We can only water twice a week which just won't get seed started at 90F. And they are going to monitor water use in winter to see if you are using water on rye if you get it growing. They want watering shut off in winter. And we got all the water in the lake that we will ever need and pass it down to the ocean every day:hammerhead:

8. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

with just me, and a 21" push?

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

stupid city...i hate when they do that crap. im glad they havent done that here.

10. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

hmmm then.