1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fund-raising ideas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by parkwest, May 30, 2007.

1. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

My son went into the hospital this past Memorial Weekend with a ruptured appendicitis. The nurse says he will still need to be under their care for a few more days. Hopefully I can get him out by Thursday. That may be rushing it though by how he looked yesterday.

Anyway, this little trip to the hospital looks like it is going to run him about $12,000 to $15,000 and he does not have health insurance. I was trying to come up with some way to help him. Some kind of fund-raiser or something.

Anyone have any good ideas how we can help this poor guy. He is 24 and runs his own lawn business. His younger brother has volunteered to cover his mowing route. I want to help but I know he wouldn't want me to "care of him" so if you have any ideas I would appreciate it.

2. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Try selling hotdogs and hamburgers with drinks. Ask your local grocery store if you can set up there, expalin the situation. They should be willing to accomodate you. Also ask the hospital to negotiate the bill lower with the billing department, not the doctor. Hospitals lower the bills all the time.
    Get some older kids together and try a car wash too. Good luck.
  3. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Hey thanks a lot. I already talked to the billing dept and they said they would see what they could do.
  4. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

honestly, if you offered the hosp. 50 cents on the dollar they'd prob take it, i've seen it first hand. they balloon their numbers big time and will still make $$ at those numbers. (actually the crappy thing about situations like this is that they charge individuals way more than ins. companies) can you take out a home equity line or something to throw them a lump sum? i'd be shocked if they didn't take it. your son can pay you back over time.....
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have NO problem helping... send me some info and I'll get a check in the mail......

God Bless