Funding Your Startup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kinglin, May 23, 2008.

1. kinglin

kinglin LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

When you first started out, how much did money did you need. How did you get the money (angel investor, yourself, bank, family)? What did you purchase to start your company (Ranger, Commerical Push Mower)?

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

It took me about 5k, I searched and found a used Lazer Z for 2500, bought a new 6x10 trailer and used the Dodge 1500 I already owned, I also used my home owner weedeater and blower till the middel of the summer when I could afford commercial units.
    This year I upgraded almost everything except my truck.

3. BLKSS

BLKSS LawnSite Member
    from Texas

about 500 here, got me a crapsman mower, crapsman edger/trimmer, and Stihl handheld blower.
    now i have a 21" comm. Toro mower, echo edger, echo trimmer, echo backpack blower. all paid for cash!!!!. now seaching for a truck, trailer, WB, and Zero turn.

4. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

180 bucks, a free truck and my Ariens 30" rider.

Now we're up to Ole Betsy (F250 1985), 48" Gravely WB, Echo SR210 Trimmer, and just got an Echo Vac'n'Blow for $100 used.

Just gotta do what you gotta do to get it done.

Abe

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

daaiang I think my first truck's name was betsy too...
    A 28-year old 1974 F-250, how do I even begin to describe it?

Lets just say at one time it was looking sad because of the paint and $10 worth of Dollar Store white spray paint made a big improvement. The wipers, I was sure glad Rain-X had been invented, and this was one truck that had a new and valid inspection sticker when I bought it, but not only did I not want to know how she passed but I knew she'd never pass again.

No radio, no fan (thou the heat did work kind of), shoot it's best just described as sketchy, even the brakes were part-time and only some of the wheels worked half way, which is to say... It needed constant topping off of brake fluid, oil (a quart every day or two), the brake pedal had to be pumped, the steering was power but loose, and I ain't never drove a 390cid Cleveland V-8 that was SO wore out my dang bicycle was almost faster.
    The windows, well I knew I could only crank them so many more times, it was that sketchy so I had to plan on that, if they were about to be rolled down it meant they would stay down until it RAINed lol, and so on...
    Oh yeah, 5-8 miles to the gallon, every single day that truck needed fuel, good thing it was a dollar a gallon.

Then, two OLD 52" Toro's, real wore out but at least I had a main and a backup.
    A trimmer, a backpack, and a slew of hand tools (shovel, rake, barrow, etc).
    The trailer was brand new :p

Yes I am sure that was a sight to behold, my investment was 5g's and laugh if you like but it was ALL paid for.
    Do what you gotta do, good luck to you man.

6. iMOW LAWNCARE

iMOW LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I borrowed $2000 from my folks. It bought me a trailer, Tanaka back pack blower, some advertising and insurance.

I already had...Dodge dakota, a piece of crap 21" mower, stihl homeowners trimmer, and a 36" walk behind that a friend gave me....it did'nt run, but I got it running and it runs so well....

Now...two months into it, I've paid the folks back, bought a used 21" honda, a commercial Tanaka trimmer and have a Proslide XT on order. And saving for when that old 36" bites the dust. I have 15 accounts and another full time job so that helps alot with the cash. Next year I hope to quit my full time job and focus on my business with nice, paid equipment.

7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

had a truck bought a lawnmower and weedeater about 500 bucks and 3 years later i was running 5 trucks.3 landscape,2 maintenance and oh yeah an old chev for utility(everything else)PS,at first i bought my trucks from junk yards and repainted them.

8. kinglin

kinglin LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I'm really amazed at how low your startup cost are. I was expecting all of you to have nearly $25,000+ in capital. My goal was $15,000 (through summer and fall part time jobs). I'm in need of a truck, so I was thinking $14,000+ for a new Ford Ranger, $600 for a commercial push mower, $200 for a 2nd, then two trimmers and two blowers.

Now I'm thinking about getting a truck for $4500 with 110,000 miles compared to that new truck to cut cost a lot. Supplies however, I'm looking into keeping the same budget.

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

First set up before I retired. 160 for the mower. 160 for the ryobi with interchangable weed wacker, edger, blower. Moved back to Florida in 2001 and went full time. 1000 for the trailer, 2300 exmark 36 metro. Both I still have. 400 for 420 stihl blower, about a 1000 in stihl combi stuff. Couple of monthes after starting got a deal on a 52 inch Lesco demo for 800. Still my basic set up just two more blowers, both mowers replacee with hydro and four power heads for the combi system.

10. iMOW LAWNCARE

iMOW LAWNCARE LawnSite Member

I'm half tempeted to sell my 2000 Dodge Dakota (which I love) and buy a cheaper Ford single cab long bed or something like that for $2000. I'm thinking I'd rather beat up a $2000 rig rather than my $10,000 Dakota...