1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Feb 9, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I am trying to build fertilizing and weed control package plans, and I am wondering if there is a set time that fungacides should be planned, or if I should only do them on a as-needed basis. Thank you for your insight.
  2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

If you try and do preventative around this region it is in May. Curative applications are when the Disease first becomes active. June or when the nights are not below 70 F, and high humidity. Usually they require different rates and multiple applications. If priced right they are profitable but a little expensive.
  3. what disease are you controling?
  4. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

What ever occurs, Summer patch in blue grass, Brown patch in tall fescue. Most universites have extension services which can help with disease info.
  5. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Ok, so as fas as planned season packages, include a fungacide preventer in early spring and anything that is actually trying to stop a specific problem will be on a as-needed basis. right?
  6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just go on an as needed basis. If you do a preventative app and you get hit with abnormally humid weather, or a customer decides to irrigate at night, you might be in trouble. Red thread, dollar spot and some other diseases can usually be controlled with ferting and mowing the fungus off. It will save you money, especially in the first year...
  7. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

on a ''as need spray'' seems to burn us from time to time..if they are new clients and get disease we spray curative with there ok and at a chargeable service and the next season they are offered a preventive spray..
  8. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Old school thinking was anytime night temp. plus humidity equaled 150 when added together diseases were doing damage.

They are expensive and toxic, but good money maker. At a minimum we double regular appl. price.

You need to know your typical weather in the service area.

Curative rate when disease shows up or conditions stay humid.

Like mention in another post, once the lawn gets hit you can upsell the next season.
  9. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to know what diseases you are targeting with a preventative application and how people afford it.

I priced out Compass for leaf spot prevention and the material alone costs me $220.
    21 day residual
    Baleton 50 about $102/acre not labelled for leaf spot.
    14 day residual

Eagle $96 an acre, 14 day residual.

Am I missing something here?
    Last summer we had 4 months of active disease. thats 2 apps per month for 4 months.

A summers worth of preventative disease control for an acre lawn would cost me about $750 in materials.
    I'd have to charge the customer at least $1500 for disease control on top of their regular fert program and grub control.
    Do you really sell that many of these?:confused: