1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fungicide and red thread

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Athletic field, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Do you guys charge for fungicides separately or put it into your program.

Do you guys bother to apply a fungicide for red thread?
  2. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Charge them for it. Your in business to make money. If the problem needs treating with a disease control it's up to you to determine the threshold for treatment. IPM. Disease controls are not always needed so putting it in a program would only be needed if the problem is persistant year after year.
  3. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Seperate Charge.

After Soil Fertilaty is in balance, I really don't see Red Thread on site anymore on the Perennial Ryegrass.

4. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

Its a relatively new yard, soil tests show low amounts of P and K. pH is low as well. I just took this account on. Probably had red thread this past fall. The humidity we have had made it spread all over. Looks bad, I told her the lawn would grow out of it but as you guys know they want it fixed yesterday. Just concerned that it will continue to spread.
  5. heritage

Yep see it alot.

As you know, get your P and K levels up as you go. On your "Winterizer" app or your last app in October B4 leaves drop heavy, get a 1-1-1 Ratio fert down (all mineral) using 1.5 Lbs N/P/K and you should be free of the RT next spring.

6. heritage

It will spread now....Get a registered Fungicide Down now too.

7. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

If you're treating an athletic field (Just guessing by your handle) I can recommend Daconil ZN. It also whoops up on rusts.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The strobin fungicides are great on red thread. I found that the fungicide "Compass" is the only one that came in a package size I could afford. Still expensive. But you have to charge what it costs, plus your labor and time.

Extra treatment of nitrogen is a lot cheaper. One pound if all mineral--use 2 lbs if 100 percent coated slow release. Be sure they never water at night. Some types of perennial ryegrass are very susceptible. Older cheaper seed is worse. Red thread spreads fast if nights are warm, and rainy. Misty rain and night temps over 65 are murder.
  9. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Red thread is everywhere in our area now. Fungicides are pretty useless since the best they can do is halt the disease for a while. It still needs to grow out, which means at least 3 more weeks of looking bad. Most of PA is locked into 85-90 degree temps now so bombing the yard with N is out of the question also. And at $20 plus per bag, it's not a cheap solution anyway. Most of our RT is driven by low mowing height. The fastest way to get it to look better is to raise the height immediately - it's still there but not as visible.

Most research now says we're casing this problem ourselves with too much N in the spring. Penn State is recommending no early spring fert, one shot around Memorial Day, one early fall and one dormant feeding. Less than 3 pounds of N per thousand SF for the year, far less than most LCOs around here have traditionally used.