fungicide preference

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by clayslandscape, Jun 16, 2013.

1. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have some dollar spot showing up in my lawn. What is the best thing you guys recommend for not only curing but preventative.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Every plant needs to live in a healthy environment to be disease free... Some people believe that a fungicide is really great , when it may just be possible that the weather changed and the plant regained its vigor, overcome the disease and moved on...

The best preventative is to employ the cultural practices that contribute to the health and well being of the turf...

3. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Sure wish I knew what those magical cultural practices are...I haven't stumbled onto them yet. I'm convinced I've got a variety of grass that is prone to disease when the weather conditions are "just right".

4. clayslandscape

clayslandscape LawnSite Senior Member

No recommendations then?

5. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cure with nitrogen. It is born under specific environmental conditions. You cannot TRULY prevent.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Smallaxe

There is nothing magical about the proper cultural practices at all... allowing the soil to dry between irrigation events would be a good cultural practice that is often ignored... the grass may be dry but the soil is wet and still we drive on it to mow then add more water right away... compaction from compression along with an anaerobic environment that is suffocating from lack of oxygen...
    Disease pathogens enjoy that environment whereas the structure builders living in the soil do not...

7. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

"Perfect" cultural practices will not guarantee a disease free yard, unless you put a giant dome over your property and can control the weather. ?

If you want a "perfect" lawn, and depending on your location, you will most likely need preventative fungicides. IMO, this is more IPM than curative.

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Your least expensive options would be thiophanate-methyl (3336, T-storm, T-methyl), or propiconazole (Prophecy, Banner, Banner Max, Spectator) then myclobutanil (Eagle). Better more broad-spectrum products for Dollar Spot AND Brown Patch control, etc, would be Armada, Disarm M, Headway.

9. Smallaxe

I agree that the use of terms,,, "Perfect" or "Always", are not reality when dealing with Living plants...

However,,, I also have a hard time "Blaming The Weather", for your lawn issues,, when other lawns don't have those same issues,,, that your lawn does...
    We must remember that weather is only 1(one) piece of the puzzle and NOT the determining criteria,,, because if it were,,, EVERYBODY in that neighborhood would be experiencing the same issues...

A lawn is an eco-system made up of many different living things interacting with lifeless inert materials for the purpose of their growth and health...
    Preventive Fungicide would be a "Last Resort" when all the sensible cultural practices have been implemted...

I would shut down the irrigation and let the soil dry out good before I sprayed fungicide all over the living things that were helping the soil to build structure and provide nutrients and oxygen to the plants... :)