Fungicide Seasons Ending

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Oct 21, 2012.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I've been applying fungicides since April. Seems this has been the worst year ever for fungi. Cost has been extremely high but not as costly as the golf courses supers tell me; some have reported that a 5 day rotation was needed to just keep some under control--me every 10-14 days which was bad enough. It's been a real uphill battle. I did one lawn at cost hoping for another contract but the owner said "It'll be fine till next year"...Yea, because of me...He need not ever ask again. Another client is moving--I've been through that last year. Jerk who bought that house is not even irrigating on a regular basic..Lawn looks like crap. It was manicured when the former owner moved.
    Which leads me to drop the remaining clients and just tend my own lawn. It was a good ride for a long time but I'll still be around to help.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Reminds me of the work I put into thick seeding for a thinning lawn, just to see the owner drown it out... nothing last forever, so just earn the money for the moment, by doing the most reasonable thing you can... :)

3. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Disease activity and pressure in the mid west and here in Michigan was as low as I have ever seen it since we had little rain and very little humidity.

That goes for lawns and tree/shrub.

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

So what kind of grass were you spraying and what height was that grass cut at ? I know the heat and humidity in SC can be brutal.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Argo:
    Most lawns are centipede manicured at 2.5-3.0" or St. Augustine manicured at 4.0".

6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Are you saying you are going out of business? If so sad to hear this.

7. I would beleive anybody maintaining a residential lawn using a sound agronomy program, their would only be a rare need for a turf fungicide

In 20 yrs on Gc, I don't believe I ever applyed a fungicide to the fairways, and only a few times to the tees!

8. Turf Logic

Turf Logic LawnSite Member

Where Roy is located they have allot of problems with fungus in augustine. Ive seen more fungus in augustine this year, than I ever have.