Fungicide woes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rayholio, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Allright, I just got off the phone with my distributer, he quoted me a few different fungicides, they were all pretty expencive.. a granular that costs over $30 a bag and only covers 5000 at the curative rate... a liquid that was something like $100 per 10,000 sq ft.. etc..

What is the weapon of choice against brown patch, and powery mildew? It sure would be nice if I could find something that is a little more affordable.. and as usual, I don't want to neglect effectivness!

2. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

Fungicides are expensive, Eagle works well, I think it around $65 per pint.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Proper cultural practices to reduce the likelihood that those diseases will occur.

4. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Armada is a preventative that is made by bayer. I think it has some curative action also. It provides 21-30 days preventative for diseases like brown patch and dollar spot. It will help you get through the summer. It runs around $60 for WP. If I remember correctly it covers around 15-20,000 sq ft. Kind of expensive, but if your customers want a premium product, charge a premium price.

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

t-storm at lesco best price for best product. 40 bucks for a bag containing 4 or 6 water soluble bags. mix them at the rates you want.
    Your gonna get away cheaper with this. Eagle is also good but not sure what strains of fungi its good against.

6. Rayholio

I just looked at the labeling for armada 50 WP.. it isn't specifically labeled with a curative rate for brown patch.. I believe this means that it's prevenative only... It does have a curative rate for leaf spot.... Havn't looked at eagle yet.. but I've read that it has reapp timing of 4-7 days... I charge a lot for a fungicide treatment ($150 per 10,000) but not enough to do 2 trips! :)

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Mancozeb..if that not good enough there's always good old daconil..both are liquid

8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

what variety of bentgrass are we talking about here???

9. Rayholio

Homeowners with fescue

10. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

You can't use Daconil then. Mancozeb will give you 10-14 days tops.

With Eagle or Armada, you can get 28 days control. I like to figure costs in terms of cost/1000 sqft PER DAY of control.

I was mixing Protect (mancozeb) with Eagle at the low rates of each. Good results for the price. Cleary's changed the formulation of the Protect this year though and it clogged my sprayer. So, we're using Armada this year.