Fungus contagious?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Littleriver1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers said he has a fungus that is contagious and he wants me to clean my mowers before and after I cut his grass. Should I do it or not?

Bill

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Most fungi is spread by spores that can and will attatch to your mowers.

Cleaning between accounts is a good idea if you do not want to spread the disease.

3. Littleriver1

Scott, How many a day do you clean your mowers?
    Bill

4. Green Pastures

I don't clean my mowers every day.

I have recently had a customer with brown patch in his lawn though and I made sure I only used one push mower on his lawn till I got the BP taken care of.

I do clean out my decks on all my mowers when I change the blades though. Every 8-10 hours.

5. Littleriver1

Scott, What do you clean your decks with? Just water or do you use a cleaning agent? or are you saying you just clean what grass you can as you change your blades. because I also clean my mowers when I change blades and I always change blades before I cut this customers lawn.
    Bill

6. Green Pastures

When I had the fungi problem I sprayed the deck with a diluted bleach solution and rinsed it off 5 minutes or so later.

No scientist here, just not to much bleach wont kill.

With no fungi problem I just scrape out the grass, if it's really stuck I'll powerwash the underside of the deck.