fungus ID help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Leaf Turf, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Green Leaf Turf

Green Leaf Turf LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I need some help identifying a fungus. It is in tall fescue. Very shaded. We have had a lot of rain over the past two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

fungus 1.jpg

fungus 2.jpg

fungus 3.jpg

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say it's the holy grail of advanced pythium in compact soil conditions.That much lichen is associated with super advanced pythium in FL. With all the rain most of the country has experienced. Pythium will become known as the dominant fungi for 2013.

3. Green Leaf Turf

turfmd,

I was thinking pythium as well but was not 100%

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Are you getting greasy water-soaked spots of dead grass; is it new grass? Could be pythium, or...it could be a fungus growing on the soil...not on the grass. If it is not killing the grass itself--it should clear up as the humidity drops to normal.

That said, brown patch is the most common fungus on tall fescue. I am too far away for a good diagnosis. Not much tall fescue or above 90 around here.

5. Green Leaf Turf

there is no die back on the turf, so i started to think it may be something with just the soil. I originally thought pythium, but saw no die back and I am unsure of the greasy part of it (although it does not look greasy, but i did not actually feel it).