Fungus in tall fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay, Jul 12, 2001.

1. jay

jay LawnSite Member

I have a problem with a fungus and hope theres someone out there that has had a similar experience and can help out. I have a fungus known as Pythium Blight in a tall fescue lawn with clay soil. I cut down the water to three times a week even during the hot 100 degree whether we have been having. Ive had the fungus sprayed with a fungicide and none of these things seem to be helping any. In the spring I aerated and topdressed lawn to improve drainage and added gypsum during the summer(no help). The last time I fertilized is in May when temperatures were lower.
    Ive called the local ag department and they told me to cut water down to three or days aweek and water once a day not more than a minute or two before noon to help cool of the blades during these hot summer months. Still no help.
    The wether has changed to the upper eighties and lower nineties which I know this will suppress it a little but I need your help before I lose the whole 1400 sqft of grass.

2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you are doing all you can. Make sure when you are watering that you do so in the morning and not at night. How much of the lawn has been damaged? How often are you re-applying the fungicides? Pythium is often seen in areas that are poorly drained. Be sure not to over fertilize also. Good luck!!

Scott

3. jay

jay LawnSite Member

It's spreading in patches just started destryimg lawn not a whole lot damaged yet but it's spreading fast. spraying every 7 days. We got rain this past weekend during this haot spell that I know didn't help it much.

4. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Any other suggestions here would help me greatly

5. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

I have a similar problem with clay soil and all the rain we had this spring in Michigan. I have red thread and brown patch that were spreading quickly. My local co-op suggested that either too much nitrogen or too little nitrogen can be the problem. I treated mine and hit it with some high nitrogen and it has slowed it down. Plus it helps that we have a drought now in MI. I have been watering at least once a day to keep the healthly lawn going, but only watering in late morning. My .02

6. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help any more suggestions out there.

7. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Also try to syringe the grass near midday. This light watering will reduce stess due to the hot weather. This is a common practice on golf courses. Let me know how it works out. Good Luck!

Scott

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your local Lesco. If you're not sure where one is, call 800-321-5325. They'll be able to help you out. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

9. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Use Chipco Aliette. This is a contact fungicide and also a true systemic that moves up and down throughout the plant for maximum preventative. Protects against root rot as well.

Get out your VISA card, it's mega bucks. Maybe see if you can purchase a quart or less from a local golf course. Mostly sells by the case (5 gallons) for around 700 bucks.