Fungus looks like ick

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sleeper4usa, Aug 21, 2004.

1. sleeper4usa

sleeper4usa LawnSite Member

Looks like a washing machine threw up on my St. Augustine. I am assuming it is some form of fungus. It is hard, kind of pukey white, is about 1-2 inches thick, and is spreading. It started in the grass, and is now trying to climb the tree. Any help on how to treat it is welcomed. It isn't killing the grass, but if you pry this stuff off the ground, it pulls the runners up with it, and the ground under it is berift of life.:cry:

2. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

How much precipitation have u had lately?

3. NC Scaper

Have the local extenstion service come out and take a look at it

4. sleeper4usa

rain has been higher than average, but still VERY dry out there. This is clay country, no dirt around for miles. Had 2 different companies look at it, treat it, and no go.

5. NC Scaper

Well i am gonna run it by my chemical guy and get back to ya. What was the companies that came out prognosis of what fungus it is?

6. sleeper4usa

one was ChemLawn, the other was ...I can't remember, they also do termites....crud......they both said they didn't know what it was. As for what they treated it with, I honestly don't think they did. I never saw anything on or near it. I terminated both of their services, and have been doing it myself. When I say it looks like a washing machine barfed, I am serious. I am going to try tonight to lift it off the ground (it is rock hard) and take it to the place downtown for testing.

7. NC Scaper

that would be your best bet and good luck with it. and on the Chemlawn thing don;t ever use them in the lawn care and landscaping world we are not to fond of there way of doing business. And if you don't mind how about posting back when you find out what it is, I tried to call my chemical guy today with no avail, but i am trying though.

8. NC Scaper

Sounds like black mold and if it is then all you can do is scoop it up