1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fungus Problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by keerym, Mar 20, 2001.

1. keerym

keerym LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

I have a yard that has had a problem in the past few years in the back of the house. This yard is very shady, but strangly enough I am having problems in the most sunny area of the yard. What happens is during the end of June to the end of August, a disease develops, my best guess is stripe smut from what I have read and looked at. The owner is reluctant at best when it comes to using harsh chemicals since this entire yard is in the middle of a large woods, so is there anything I can do short of using a fungicide? If I need to use a fungicide, any suggestions on what to use, or the best time to apply? I want to get a plan together now so I am ready before it strikes this summer. Thanks for the help.
  2. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stripe smut is best controled through cultural practices. Keep nitrogen to a minimum in the summer and be sure to keep the lawn irrigated. Fungicides are much to expensive for a home lawn, but monthly apps of DMI fungicides will keep it under control. In the long run it would be better to renovate the lawn and use a resistant blend of bluegrass if the lawn becomes that damaged. Make sure it is stripe smut and not leaf spot diseases.