Fungus spread by mowers!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by br549oicu8, Jul 6, 2005.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you had experience with lawn equipment spreading fungus from one proerty to another?? I had a customer call me and wants us to "sanititze" our mower before mowing her lawn because she doesn't want the fungus on her lawn. I thought she was sill but after reading I guess it is very possible to spread this crap!!!
    Comments and suggestions please!!

2. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Yes! It's absolutely possible to transfer the fungus from one lawn to another with mowing equipment (not to mention shoes or other "infected" items).

Even here on our grounds, I don't see any transport of fungus. We have one area that likes rust, but doesn't transfer to other places. Or if it does, it's so minimal that it's not noticable.

Definitely sounds like a PITA if she's requesting it.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Chris

First a quick question. Is your not for hire license, like our privates where you can only treat the property of your employer??? As in a Golf Course.

Pythium is in fact a fungus that can wipe out a turf over night and is transfered by mowers. It effects Perennial Rye, Bend Grasses, KBG, Fescue, and Bermuda. Although it is mostly a Cool season turf disease it has wiped out many a Golf Course here in Florida. I once won a Ryan mark IV aerator by answering the question, What fungus is transferred by Mowing equipment, in a last man standing contest.

As for the PITA customer, How about a PITA state citrus law that requires you to sterilize after every lawn before leaving the property. Btw that is also if you are only going across the Street. Florida is very paranoid about Citrus Canker. But these laws only apply to certain areas.

Lorenzolovato likes this.
  4. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Anthracnose The causal fungus, Colletotrichum graminicola, survives the winter as dormant resting structures called sclerotia and as dormant mycelium in infected plant debris. During early spring outbreaks of anthracnose basal rot, the fungus, which may have overwintered in the plant, initiates infection at the base of the plant. Outbreaks of anthracnose foliar blight and / or basal rot can result when spores produced in acervuli are dispersed by splashing water or tracked by mowing equipment from one area to another. These spores then germinate and cause new infections on other plants. Anthracnose is likely to occur when plants are growing slowly (during periods of hot and cold temperatures), during overcast periods, and in high humidity conditions.

5. A.T.A.K

After looking there are many fungus that can be carried by shoes and lawn equpiment.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Dollar Spot can also be transmitted by equipment, shoes, etc.

So if you do mow a lawn obviously infected with it, you should make an attempt to clean your equipment afterward.

I'm pretty sure that last season I spread DS with my reel mower from one client to the next. Didn't realize it at the time.

7. A.T.A.K

Fungus is not my strong point I only know how to kill it. What seperates a PHD and a good operator is the PHD has a peice of paper that tells you he can look up the same info as you or I. I mean know disrespect to the hard work which was put into their degree but I have worked with a great deal even from the pest control end they all refer back to the books.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

A.T.A.T.

I am not a PhD and look at the same book you do.

Maybe I need to return the aerator. Or maybe in my old age I forgot the question was to name one Fungus carried by mowers. However it is Pythium that brings the most paranoid of being spread by mowing equipment because of how fast it can wipe out a turf.

9. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

Illinois has a private license as well. But, yes, a commercial not-for-hire license is just that. I can maintain grounds at a location like a golf course or in my case our church grounds since I'm being paid by an employer.

I was in the same room as all the other commercial for hire applicators taking the same tests. The only significant difference in the process is that for hire applicants must provide proof of liability insurance and also pay a fee.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Chris

Private Applicators License is a little different here. First it is under a different branch of the Agi dept and second it is not anywhere as hard of a test. Anyone can sit for it.

So one more question. Can you simply buy insurance and request a change in your status???