1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 7300, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 7300

7300 LawnSite Member

Great site. Lots of good info here.
    My problem is that I've live in my current house for 2yrs and the grass did this from day one. In the mornings I get this white frost looking stuff in spots on the blades. When the sun hit it, it disappears and the blades that had the white stuff on it are dead. I get little dead spots all over the yard. No it's not frost. I get this all summer, especially when it's wet out. ANy Idea what this is and how to fix it? Pic included.

2. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Pythium blight, also called cottony blight or grease spot, is a fungal disease of turfgrasses. All turfgrasses, warm and cool season, are susceptible to attack. The disease is most severe during hot, humid conditions and where there is limited air circulation. Poorly drained soils also favor the occurrence of the disease

Control. Cultural practices can go a long way toward preventing pythium blight. Good water management is very important in reducing disease potential. Remove thatch on a regular basis through frequent vertical mowing and topdressing; avoid lush growth produced by overfertilization and overwatering; and improve drainage through aeration and the use of soil amendments. Increasing the mowing height and other practices that promote root growth may lessen the damage from pythium root rot.
  3. sarasota lawn care

sarasota lawn care LawnSite Member

always greener is dead on right