Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by McClain's, May 6, 2006.

1. McClain's

McClain's LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

What is the brown round ball shape fungus and when stepped on it lets out a puff of brown smoke? What causes it and how can it be gone?
  2. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

Is that a fungus or mold?
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Post a picture. It sounds like a mold.
    High humidity/rain and not enough air movement/sunlight are two contributing factors. Compaction in the soil causes a build up of toxic levels of CO2 in the soil which creates limited gaseous exchange in the soil which helps to promote the mold.
    Raise your mowing height, aerify and check the soil fertility level in the soil. Once the turf is cared for better, on C4 turf the mold should abate without spraying.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

a fart spore lol

I know what you're talking about, it lets out brown smoke when you hit it with the mower or weed-eater as well, don't know what it's called thou... Careful, that smoke is dust and contains spores and I wouldn't be for breathing that stuff.

It's a type of a mold, that's the closest I can think of.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

A Puffball.
  6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

We get some that look like cow patties.

I always thought they were the fruiting bodies (like mushrooms) of a soil fungus. Forget the name of it, if I ever knew it.

Aerate. Trim/prune to improve circulation and light infiltration. Good luck.