1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fungus?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bunton Guy, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I came across a brown fungus growing in hardwood mulch that when raked with a leaf rake it puts off a brown poof of smoke into the air. A close landscaper friend said be aware of this....never inhale that smoke it will make you sick!

Well being an impatient idiot I had to get the job done and didn't have a face mask. I inhaled some smoke :hammerhead: When I asked him what happens he said you will feel miserable kinda like flu like symptoms for anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple months. Low and behold I feel like total crap since that day and its been 3 days.

Is this true? Anyone heard of this? The fungus almost looks like dark brown dog vomit.

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Puff balls use a flat shovel you will live.

3. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

Fuligo Septica or Dog vomit slime mold is most likely what it was. It is a mold that pops up in mulched areas after heavy rains. If I remember correctly it is pretty harmless and I doubt that it is making you sick.