Funny but Scary!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Jul 14, 2005.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Okay, first lawn of the day. Driveway is straight with loop at the top. The entire driveway has a slight uphill incline. I usually drive up and around the loop with truck facing downhill. I then back up as far as I can so that when I drop the ramp, truck faces down hill and I'm out of everyones way. I have a 2002 Silverado, shortbed 4 X 4, and a 14foot trailer.

So, I weed whack first and come back to unload the Z steer (LazerHP) from the trailer like I've done at least 40 times from this same spot. Drop ramp. Climb on mower and let warm up a few minutes. Start to back up and off trailer when I get the wierd sensation like the trailer is moving....OH CRAP! It is moving :blob3: When the mower got past the axle of the trailer the combined weight of me, and the mower (with full tanks) lifted the rear of the truck just enough to let the truck and trailer start sliding down the hill (driveway is oil and stone with lots of stone) So what to do? I pulled the mower up but the truck kept sliding so I threw the brake on the mower and jumped off the trailer in hopes of getting into the truck before it picked up any more speed as it continued sliding down the hill.

It's important to note that I am 46 and a "little" over weight. The laws of physics did extend themselves to even me when I jumped as I noted that the weight I am carrying was more than the braking action that I was trying to execute. So, looking Cartman from Southpark I did the only thing I could do as soon as I jumped off the trailer....fell and rolled looking like a fat white snowball rolling along side my sliding truck and trailer. All I could think of was "they are going to find me underneath the truck and wonder what the heck happened." When I came to a stop so had the truck. Just by me jumping off the trailer, the trucks own weight came back into play and stopped it from sliding.

I got up, brushed myself off, had a good laugh, learned a lesson about weight distribution and went back to work. If someone had a video camera, it would have made a great shot.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That is pretty funny. I'm 50, so I would probably would have bought the farm LOL...

3. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

You picked up the ass end of that truck, with it being hooked to a 14 foot tandam axle trailer, :dizzy: Something about this story makes no sence at all . I know its a short bed but still i have never seen a 14ftr be a single axle , Plus the truck is sitting on a hill and it has 4wd . kick that baby in 4wd next time and leave it in gear or park wich ever, I never unload sitting on a hill or much of one and if i do i always chalk the trailer tire's , I dunno but i think their is a whopper being told here,

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it. I was unloading a car off of my 18' car hauler in my drive way which has a slight incline. It picked up the back of my Jeep and it started to roll until i got the car all the way off the trailer then stopped. It's freaky!

5. C&KLawnCare

Talk about using a popcan to pull a semi,,,, a Jeep :rolleyes: Puling a 18ft trailer :rolleyes: Then loading a car with the weight of 2,100 Lbs and up :rolleyes: Not very bright are you?

6. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

It didn't pick the axle OFF the ground, just took enough weight off it to let it start sliding. It IS a 14 footer with a single axle. And lastly, it's an automatic not a standard. Normally there would n't be any need to use 4 wheel drive and anyway, I don't know that it would have made any difference since it's an automatic. As far as me telling whoppers are concerned, I am not in the habit of lying, bullshifting or telling tall tales. I have better things to do. :p

7. C&KLawnCare

Well by placing it in 4wd while in Park or In gear that leaves the front end locked in gear - meaning no roll since the front end is locked,

Single axle 14 footer , Oh i bet thats one overloaded , swaying in the wind *()&*()& to pull along . Trailer that long id prefeer a tandam axle .

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Actually, it's never overloaded and it doesn't sway. I've hauled 2 Quads a few hundred miles plus gear and never a problem. As far as the 4 wheel drive, I'll have to try that trick though I think I'll just park it a little different next time. But I suppose it's always something to consider.

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Your a lucky man,count your blessings you dident end up under the truck !!Glad your OK.

10. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm...it's rated to tow up to 7500 lbs with a weight distributing hitch and up to a 32' trailer. I am not even close to being over length or over weight. What's not so bright about that? I pull my 29' Fountain boat as well, no problems.