Funny customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncuttinfoo, Oct 12, 2006.

1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I start on his yard and he walks up and says the garbage man says the bags of leaves you leave are too big and too heavy so I have some bags here you can use. He hands me some non-tear-stop 1 mil 33 gal bags. "you can use these" I said sorry but I really have no way to fill those unless they will fit my barral, but I will be happy to dispose of your bags for $2 each. he said why would I do that I already pay for the garbage to pick them up. I told him I have neaver heard of a garbage company doing that. So I streached the bag over my can to it's limit and said I guess. Well, half the bags ripped and the other half took twice the time to do.

He must have taken my comment as I thought he was lying to me not as I meant it meaning that he has an inferior garbage company because when I went to return the unused bags and rang the bell at both doors of the small house that 3 peope were in, no answer.

Looks like a lost customer to bad communication.

Later, I thought about asking the customer if he would ask his roofer to use his personal manual hammer since the flooring contractor inside did not like the compressed air sound of the workers hammer gun. Although this would probably make things worse.

I should have just told him that his garbage company was offering inferior service compared to others I have seen and that I use specilized equipment that will not work with everyday materials. And suggest contacting his garbage company to cancel the leaf removal program and go with my leaf removal porgram.

Any better ideas to confront this situation?
  2. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

I would call the customer and try to talk about the miscommunication. AS far as the garbage service, I pay a set fee for garbage service. Are you speaking of city garbage service?
  3. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

In my neck of the woods, any trash such as leaves, clippings, need to be put in those paper H.D. bags, Inert landfills won't even take plastic bags, need to dump out what ever your throwing out, out of the bags.
    Dave K
  4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Not like the good ole days when it didn't matter WHAT was out there, they took it! Now the garbage men are spoiled, most in my area don't even have to get out of the truck, the auto-garbage-can-grabber-thingy reaches out grabs and dumps it for them!
    When I was a kid I used to run out there when the trash man came, help him dump our cans, just so I could push the compactor buttons! LOL, I used to think how cool it would be to hang off the back of the garbage truck. LOL
  5. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yeah, and if your regular and recycle cans are too close together they'll just drive on by.:hammerhead:
  6. MichaelVera

MichaelVera LawnSite Member

No kidding, we had the coolest garbage man named "Granny" when I was a kid. We used to ride our bikes and follow him around the neighborhood! He would talk smack and loved the attention.
  7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Speaking of the auto-garbage-can-pick'er-upper... One time a year or two ago, when i still had my 5x10 trailer, the trash truck came one morning, and when they left they forgot to raise up the pick'er-upper, so it crashed into the back of my trailer, bending it all to heck, and then the trailer moved forward and crashed into dads work van. It worked out pretty neat, because the insurance company paid for a 6.5x12 to replace it. Infact, I dont think they even ever measured it, just asked dad what it would cost to replace the trailer, and my dealer only had the 6.5x12 in stock. This was during a major hurricane in florida, so the agent was in a hurry to get down there.

Anyway, back to the original topic...
    Last fall, after throwing my bag to my JX75 half a block in frustration and bending it up, I promised myself NEVER AGAIN would I use trash bags for lawn clippings or leafs. I cant remeber if it was a cheap bag and it broke, or it kept blowing in the wind and i wasnt able to get anything in it, or what exactly happend. Now my bag doesnt quit fit on my JX75 just right anymore.
  8. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I would have told him no problem I will take the bags with me when I go

loaded the bags up and gone around the corner and set them in front of someone elses house!

or where I live just dumped them in one of the 50 million dumpsters everywhere owned by the city

and yes for some reason Lubbock still takes lawn waste no problems
  9. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be illegal to use plastic for leaves, the good ole days, when municipalities picked them up curbside should be reinstated! you dump them, without plastic, in a convenient locale, where they decompose naturally. Then you sell them back as organic material to the same people you charged to remove them, sheesh, will they ever learn?
  10. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats why I love curbside pickup. Just blow-em into a neat pile in the road next to the curb and the city comes with front-end loaders and a dumptruck to remove of them, free of charge.